Which 2x2 GB set of RAM?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mr.Pibb, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Mr.Pibb macrumors newbie

Mr.Pibb

2. Cboss macrumors 6502

I bought the OWC RAM for my MacBook a year ago and it's been great. I've never heard of Mushkin, so I can't help there.

3. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

4. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Neither.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231135

Just about 20 bucks cheaper, and has many more reviews, as well as confirmation that it's compatible with Apple Products.

I'm surprised to be honest. Good time to get DDR2, as it seems like it's only gonna get more expensive. I bought my 2x2GB for $15 less 2 years ago.

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

Another commonly-recommended place is DMS:

http://www.datamemorysystems.com/_memory-information/4GB_Kit_DDR2667_SODIMMs_190x2.asp

...whose prices are usually nearly identical to OWC, and they also offer guaranteed-to-work-in-a-specific-Mac RAM and a lifetime warranty. Been using DMS for over a decade at work, and the two times I had memory fail they were quick and easy with a replacement. (Interesting aside: When you call DMS support, somebody picks up the phone. As in, no phone tree or automated system at all--that's always a pleasant surprise.)

That said, I'd get the OWC stuff. I switched to them at home a couple years back, for the combination of their very good green business practices combined with decent prices, good quality, and lifetime warranty (which means something because they've been around for a long time).

Not saying G.Skill is bad or anything, just that I'm willing to spend ~10-20% extra for peace of mind and a company I like very much.

6. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Fair enough. I had a stick of OWC ram go bad about 6 months ago and they replaced it, no questions asked. Only stick I've ever bought that's gone bad.

7. OWCMichael macrumors newbie

OWCMichael