which 30inch Display Would You Suggest?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by smogsy, Aug 14, 2008.

1. smogsy macrumors 6502a

Which 30 monitor would you pick From Vendors Out There

Needs
    HDCP (DVI,HDMI)
    Good qaulity

Would like
    HDMI
    Black/Chrome looking.
    IPS Panel
    USB HUB Built In

Uses
    Gaming (CSS HL2 Aoe3 Crysis etc)
    Photoshop (not colour critcal)
    Dreamweaver
    Flash
    video Editing
    MultiTasking
    Internet
    Msn
    HD trailers,
    Creating OSX/Iphone Apps
    Mutiple Terminals
    Remotely watching up to 480 Live Feeds at one time (max probs 40)

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Only monitor I could think of is Apple's Cinema Display, as Dell/Samsung/etc all have 30" displays but no USB hub...

The best build quality of course will be Apple, but this is a little biased since you're in a mac forum. but omitting the usb hub, i'd recommend a Samsung display, since their displays are black (glossy-looking). Chrome would be ACD from Apple. Dell displays arent too bad, but very thick and quality is kind of bad...

Other good brands is Viewsonic, and LG.

3. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

The Dell3008FPW meets all of your requirements, including a USB hub (it has four available ports).

4. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

My 2009WFP with four USB ports disagrees with you. :p

I also recommend the 3008WFP.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

oops i was confusing it with the 24" Dell.. sorry.

but for the 3008WFP get the Apple Cinema Display. It's cheaper by 200 bucks and the casing integrates better into OSX than Dell's thicker display. The ACd design is more simplistic with usb ports on the side.

6. Rmafive macrumors 6502

I would look into dell displays, I think that they might have built in usb hubs but I am not sure. I also would suggest waiting a month to see if apple unveils new cinema displays, if so they could come in black! :)

7. blownco macrumors regular

blownco

and again you are wrong both my 2405 24 inch dells both have card readers and usb hubs.

8. ventro macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard2008 manages to be incredibly wrong with every post he makes. The ACD has the ports on the BACK, not the side, and the Dell design has the ports on the side.

9. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

The ACD does not have HDMI nor HDCP. Also, as was said, the 2408WFP has USB ports. All the Ultrasharp displays have four, the regular displays do not.

10. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

The Dell also has 2 usb ports on the bottom.

11. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

If cost is not a consideration, go with the 30 Apple.

12. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Actually, the Apple is cheaper then the Dell. :)

I guess Dell feels they can charge more because it has more features.

13. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

14. evildede macrumors member

I have recently ordered the Samsung 305T since it is a LOT cheaper than both the Dell and the Apple displays, and has better specs than the Apple one too. My friends also bought one recently and after seeing it and then going to the Apple store to see their display myself, I don't think I'll be regretting my choice. Honestly, I love Apple to death but their displays are outdated and I think it would be foolish to pay extra just for an aluminium casing when you can get better for a lot less. The ACD offers 700:1 contrast ratio and 16MS response rate, while the Samsung has 1000:1 contrast ratio and 6MS response rate. They also both have USB ports, so unless you REALLY need the 2 firewire 400 ports on the ACD I don't think their is any reason to get the ACD unless you think you can't live without only having Apple computers and accesspries to go with it.

Here in Canada the ACD is 2099$ and the Samsung is 1350$. It is definitely a no brainer!

15. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

As an owner of both a Dell 24" and a Dell 30", I will say that there is an observable difference in contrast between the 700:1 of my 30" and the 1000:1 of my 24. The 24 has far deeper blacks and 'pops' more. The 30" isn't bad, I mean I love it, but when I added my 24" a year later I was surprised that the spec difference was so noticeable. Go for the highest contrast rating you can.

16. rdp5008 macrumors regular

rdp5008

Is a 30" required for you right now?

You can get smaller monitors with better specs for far less expensive. I am using a 20" widescreen right now. I would love a 30" but I hear that the technology isn't quite there to make them worth the price. Maybe look at a 22 or 24 incher?

Does this make sense? I too am looking at upgrading and this way my conclusion.

17. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Part of that is due to the panels, as well. S-PVA panels (like in the 24") supposedly have deeper blacks then S-IPS panels (like in the 30") based on panel technology reviews I have read. The colors also "pop" more on S-PVA panels, but they are more accurate on S-IPS panels.

18. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Well... I can tell you the Apple Cinema HD Display also has two FireWire 400 ports and two USB ports, however I'm not sure would the FW be useful for you.

From my experience, Apple makes good screens but have limited compatibility since it's connecting cable is physically attached to the unit, there's no multiple inputs, plus there's no HDCP compliance. For some users this could pose a problem, for other's... well just perfect compliments to any Mac! Though in all honesty, I'd suggest, if you wish to watch purchased media with HDCP compliance, attach third-party device's such as a PS3 and more, then the DELL would be a better buy!!

19. smogsy thread starter macrumors 6502a

just to help you lot out im from UK
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=703&catid=17&sortby=nameAsc&subid=1121&mfrid=

It will be going on this desk as you can see should not need ps3,etc plugged inas my xbox,wii,ps3 are in big tv
    http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/613/img0428sp3.jpg

here are prices which seem totaly different to you in the US

i am insterested in the Dell 30inch. 3008WFP looks shiny and has good amount of ports.

but keep the suggestions coming based on these prices, :) i currently do not have a budget. as i was going to buy 2 Mointors but for now only getting 1.

20. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I think the apple cinema display 30" is the best for price/performance right now.

Otherwise I would get the NEC 3090 but if you really really want to go all out, why not a Samsung XL30 LED, heh but its only $4499.

On another note, I'm not usually a fan of dell monitors as I've owned my share of the 2407 and 2408.. which just didnt work out for me, but I hear good stuff about the 30" Dell and the price is more than fair.

21. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The Dell 3008WFP is probably the best option for you. The step up from the ~£1000 displays are for colour accurate types for professionals (NEC/Eizo) and you aren't gonig to benefit by the looks of it. Samsung is S-PVA. The HP LP3065 is a decent alternative if you want an alternative to Dell.

22. mastersoft macrumors member

DONT BUY HP LP3065

HP LP3065 is a BAD MONITOR

in 3 month i change 2 monitors...first monitor have IDENTICAL problems with actual . I think is factory PROBLEM. Actual monitor died after 2 days of normal use.

they are manufactured in july, octomber 2008

DO NOT BUY HP LP3065 ....

23. Fomaphone macrumors regular

24. wedgehammer macrumors newbie

Been using a LP3065 for just over six months now, what are these "identical" problems that you're referring to?

here's a nice review (albeit from '07):

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2007/review-hp-lp3065.html

"Conclusion

Huge amounts of space, high resolution, very good image quality, perfectly manufactured, equally suitable for office or gaming use as well as for films and most graphics work: the HP LP3065 is almost the perfect LCD. Almost perfect because Hewlett-Packard has made a huge and incomprehensible error in omitting the On Screen Menu and leaving the user with no options to change any settings other than brightness.

In addition, there is no screen manager software and all settings must therefore be calibrated using software in the form of the graphics card or a tool such as PowerStrip. Another (smaller) weak point is the LP3065’s standby mode usage of up to 8.7 watts, which is much too high.

Those who can see past these weaknesses, however, will be purchasing a superior LCD monitor which can be expected to perform to an excellent standard in all areas. Of course, a monitor of this quality has its price: with a high street price of around 1 800 Euro, the HP LP3065 is anything but cheap, but this is still a bargain price for a 30 inch monitor.

If you intend to purchase the, you should have a competent computer system with a dual link enabled graphics card so that the high resolution of 2.560 x 1.600 pixels can be used to its full potential. Furthermore, the workspace should be deep enough to ensure that the user can sit at least 60 cm from the screen in order to work in an ergonomic manner given the size of the screen."

25. mikelikespie macrumors newbie