Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronster22

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
Hey there, just about ready to buy my first iPod Touch...

Just noticed on the CDN Apple website the refurb 2G 32GB is $249 CDN and the new 3G is now at $329 CDN.

Does anybody think the 80 dollar up-charge for the new 3G is worth it, with the new chipset, possible 802.11n and a mic/headphone combo (but i hate the standard iPod headphones, I have Sennheiser in-ears) ? Or should I save some cash?

i mostly want it for productivity apps, not too many games.

Thanks

Silencer

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2009
London
Yo

In my opinion if you are not gonna play any games as much then get the refurb 32gb. The second gen is still top notch and you will save some money.

But if you want more speed than get the 3G. Its faster as the iPhone 3GS.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Its faster as the iPhone 3GS.

It's as fast as the iPhone 3GS, or faster than the iPhone 3GS?

If you're going to be running games, apps and stuff then maybe go for the new model. But it is entirely likely the 2G model will be perfect for your needs.

kwajkat

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
I would go for the 3rd gen with the new hardware and software. I have the 64gb (double the memory for not that much more made it a no brainer:D). If you have been following the forums, there seem to be a lot of people having problems with upgrading to the 3.1 software. There are no problems with the 3.1.1. software in the 3rd gen. I like my 64gb much better than the 2nd gen 32, runs smoother, abit faster and no hiccups like my 2nd gen had.

ronster22

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
That 3G is tempting....but I like the price of the 2G.

A bunch of guys at work think I should just get the 2G, but I played with a 3G S iPhone at the Apple Store and it was noticably faster than the 2G touch...

kwajkat

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
If the 3GS made you happy because it was faster etc, then you probably won't be happy in the long run with a refurb 2nd gen.

You are looking at around $80CDN difference,

Ask yourself this, Is that $80 worth the newer software and hardware in the long run. Are you going to be happier with better game playing with a new itouch as opposed to a refurbished unit?

d-fi

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2004
Calgary, Canada
I was in the exact same position as you 2 days ago

went to the apple store played with the 2nd gen and 3rd generation models and the 3rd gen model was noticeably more responsive but the 2nd gen was speed was good too it wasn't painfully slower.

I just thought about what i would use it for mainly i needs are music, pda, and productivity apps and not really games.

The new 802.11n chipset is great but who knows when/if it will be activated and it's a custom chip and there is no 'n' antenna so we don't even know if it can be activated. Even if it can be turned when the 2nd gen got the bluetooth chip people waited awhile before that was activated.

So after i looked at that, the real advantages that the 3rd gen get are faster processor and better graphics and the option for more storage space.

i decided to save some money and buy the 2nd gen 32 GB and if some time in the future apple adds a camera or other stuff i'll probably sell this one and get another one.

If you buy the refurb you'll most likely get and old stock 2nd gen rather then an actual refurb.

Either way i think you'll be happy

DocDoom

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Yo

In my opinion if you are not gonna play any games as much then get the refurb 32gb. The second gen is still top notch and you will save some money.

But if you want more speed than get the 3G. Its faster as the iPhone 3GS.

I agree. Iv read that the new ipod Touch has far less battery life, and that battery drains rapidly while playing games on it.

Silencer

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2009
London
I agree. Iv read that the new ipod Touch has far less battery life, and that battery drains rapidly while playing games on it.

A faster processor will probably demand more battery life. Although I have to test my new touch and see.

kwajkat

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
I have noticed that game playing on my 64gb model does not drain the battery as fast as the 2nd gen did. Overall battery performance lasts longer but still not great. Overall performance of everything it is much better so I consider the 3rd gen to be better than 2nd. And I am glad they didn't put a camera in it.:D:D

ronster22

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
Man I am stumped. just saw new numbers for load times...3G is way quicker than the 2G...but the extra cash would eat into my PS3 purchase fund LOL.

Ah decisions decisions. I am leaning towards the 3G, but that 2G refurb price....

theiphoner

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2008
Just got a 2g 32gb refurb for my wife, she loves it, the speed is fine, boots up quick enough and the navigation is fine, I would say go for the refurb, I had a go and it feels faster than my iphone 3g, but thats full to capacity :( and cant afford a new one yet!!

you wont regret it and if it means you have the extra money for a PS3 then all the better.

zerolight

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
Glasgow
3G all the way. Got mine yesterday. It's much faster. It's not just games. If you are planning on surfing and wot not too, then it also has twice the RAM which makes surfing much faster, and you can have more than one tab open without it needing to reload the page when you switch between them. Let me guess, the guys recommending you get the 2G have 2Gs themselves right? ;)

waiting

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
bought refurb this week

I can't say what's right for others in this situation, but just this week I settled on the refurbished 32 GB 2G over a new 3G.

Before the updates, I considered a refurbished, but then-current, 16 GB 2G. After them, I wanted to stay around $200 USD, and $250 for a refurbed 32 GB was close enough. For my usage, the upgraded features of the 32 GB 3G weren't worth taking me $100 above my original budget to $300.

Other minor reasons for choosing the 2G (if I have these correct) are the stated longer battery life of the 2G (36 hrs of music playback vs. 30 hrs) and the compatibility with iTunes 8 (since 3G requires 9, and I'm reluctant to switch just yet).

It's interesting, though, to see others' responses, since I really could have gone either way on this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.