Which 3G is fastest? Sprint, AT&T, Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michael31986, Aug 4, 2008.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68030

i have wondered which 3g is fastest?is it all a matter of the towers. like AT&T could make their 3g faster just like they did with edge few years back?

also will 3g eventually be all AT&T uses? just like verizon and sprint have all their phones with 3g?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

AT&T could potentially make 3G faster. I don't know if they have plans to, but it's possible.

I tend to get around 1100 kbps on it wherever I go. I don't know what the max is, but I know it's more than that. But EDGE tend to give me 150 kbps, so I'm not complaining. It's plenty fast for what I do.

As for comparing networks, this is pretty tough to do. You'll get different results comparing different phones on the SAME network, so it's pretty hard to prove your testing methods are good!

And for that I'm counting "page-loading" time, not just raw speed. Some phones load up pages faster than others because their processors and OS work faster than other phones. So even with a faster connection, you don't always get the page faster.

3. rjohnstone macrumors 68030

rjohnstone

3G speeds depend on where you are in relation to a tower and at what broadcast speed that particular tower is set at.
    AT&T and ramp up or turn down any tower they chose.

They can also vary from phone to phone as many have seen with the 3G iPhone.

4. View macrumors regular

Dang man, you get 1.1Mbps??? That's fast. I usually get 400k (500-600k if lucky)....

5. Emilio G macrumors regular

I usually get about 1.2mbps as well.

My buddy with the Instinct tells me that the only reason he doesn't get an iPhone is because Sprint is way better than AT&T.

:rolleyes: