Which 3G speeds are supported?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kobra, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Kobra, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010

Kobra macrumors regular

Kobra

Hi,

As the iPad is released tonight in Sweden all of the carriers have presented information about their 3G dataplans. The carrier "3" are offering a plan "with up to 16 mbit/sec" but does the iPad support this? Apple only states "up to 7,2 mbit/sec" in the tech specs... :confused:

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I am not 100% sure what is you question, but I think you answer your own question, the iPad support UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz) which in "paper" support up to 14MBit/Sec, however Apple have tested the iPad up to 7.2MBit/sec.

If you provider offer 16MBIT/sec (which is weird, i never seen that, it is either 7.5 or 14..but I am going with your word) them it is NOT support it. However your carrier network should support 7.5 (if it support up to 16 as you said) so your ipad will operate as it max speed as often as it can.

3. Kobra thread starter macrumors regular

Kobra

Thank you, you understood me perfectly right :) So, the higher network speed is just a waste of money then :cool:

4. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Right - the iPad does not support HSPA+.

Hopefully the next iteration will, as HSPA+ is getting to be widely supported pretty quickly, even here in the USA.

5. CorruptedSanity macrumors member

Used speedtest.net at the mall the other day to test my 3G speed and it topped to 5.r mb/s which means the ipad is actually an H(hsdpa) device or 3.5g not 3G device. Good news for us on hsdpa networks.