Which 4-drive raid enclosure for backup?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pullman, Aug 9, 2011.

1. pullman macrumors 6502

pullman

Hi all

I need some advice. I wish to have my onsite backups of my photos in a 4-drive RAID enclosure.

FW400 or FW800 would be sufficient connection (I don't need NAS).

I am interested in as inexpensive a solution as possible (though quality is important). What model should I get?

Thanks a bunch
    /p

2. noushy macrumors regular

Try the OWC

Just purchased the OWC chassis for 300 dollars and have had great luck with them in the past. Will be setting it up this weekend. Model ends in QX2 I think.

Noushy

3. pullman thread starter macrumors 6502

pullman

Thanks for the quick reply and the suggestion! I've also had luck with OWC before (SSDs, RAM etc). That enclosure looks very interesting indeed. It seems 300$ is the lowest price for most 4-drive enclosures, then some drives added to that, ugh.

/p

4. shelant macrumors member

I had a bad experience with QX2 and settled on mediasonic RAID enclosure ($199 on Amazon)
    Love it, works well with 3tb drives and eSata interface is lightning fast, check it out:
    http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-3-...3D96/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1313030208&sr=8-2

5. treestar macrumors 6502

G-Technology G-SPEED Q

Definitely has the best build quality around. Hitachi Ultrastar Enterprise drives come standard. RAID 0 and RAID 5. Greater reliability than OWC based on reviews. Priced very well considering the quality of the drives. Nice understated appearance.