Which 630-7419 processor for my G5?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jlofgr, May 10, 2014.

1. jlofgr macrumors newbie

Hey folks...got a question before I make a bid on a 2.5 GHz quad processor assembly for my G5. My assembly has 1 pump mounted on the same plate as the radiator. The part # is 630-7419. The one I'm interested in on Ebay has the same part # but it has two pumps and they are mounted hi in the CPU assembly. I assume one is later and one is earlier. Can the assemblies be interchanged? The Coolant blocks that the CPU's bolt to look to be different. What's the story here? Any help would be much appreciated.

Jim Lofgren, Seattle

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

From what I've tested and tried. As long as the CPU models are the same it will work. I used a dual-pump on my original single pump quad core.

3. jlofgr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! I kind of thought that was the case!

Jim

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I have a bunch of 630-7419 CPUs, but I have no idea which ones work or not anymore. They are yours for cost of shipping. I don't know if you needed the entire liquid cooling assembly or just the CPU(s)?

5. kby macrumors newbie

Interchangeability of processor cards

It's probably too late for this, but for those researching in the future:
    I don't know the part numbers, but there are two different versions of the CPU cards: one for the two-pump processor module and one for the single-pump module (more common). As far as I can tell, the difference is the height of the copper tubes to the cooler—the shorter ones are for the two-pump processor module.

The entire processor modules (including the appropriate cards, pumps, and radiator) are interchangeable between systems.

It does not appear that cooling heat sinks can be detached and interchanged on the cards.-kby

6. desantii macrumors 6502

desantii

7. Surrat macrumors 6502

Surrat

The single pump unit is the better one for the quad g5.

Its known to be more reliable by online guides talking about rebuilding the LCS.

Dont grab the two pump one if you can choose the single version.

8. desantii macrumors 6502

desantii

Good to know... I am tempted to go find a quad cpu.. Currently my quad is running with a dual core 2.3. Not sure I want to mess with an LCS though