Which 7200rpm would be best for UMBP.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Yokomo, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Yokomo macrumors newbie

Hi Guys & Girls,

Just want to know your views on which 7200rpm HDD would suit old UMBP 15inch.

I have a budget in upgrading my stand HDD, therefore SSD is not my option.

Now, WD or Seagate for 7200rpm HDD... ?

Idea's and view on the HDD.

Thanks Yokomo.

2. Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    Of the two, definitely the Seagate. However, I would recommend this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145257

It's only 5400RPM but the speed difference for booting/applications/system use is not that big. Hitachi has made some of my longest lasting and most reliable hard drives. However if you are working with high bandwidth media files or multitrack audio the 7200RPM would help to ensure more consistent playback. The downside is that it will run hotter as well, but it shouldn't be too bad because the cooling on the unibodys is top notch.

My two cents.

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Tom's hardware has some pretty in depth reviews concerning recent 7200 rpm drives. The conclusions reached were that the 7200's don't run much hotter or use much more juice than the 5400's. Seagate 7200.4 500 gig is top of the heap being the newest drive. The scorpio black has faster throughput in short bursts. The scorpio blue 500 gig 5400 drive ranked pretty highly as well.

The unibodies, from my experience, do tend to transmit vibration more than the models before them.

If you do get a decent 7200, you will find yourself getting impatient with boot times on most 5400 drives. :)

4. Yokomo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank for all the info :)

I might hold back till Sept when next SL is release then I pick up an SSD and rebuild my system. :D

that way I will notice the differences.