Which accessories do you use with your MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emir, Apr 29, 2010.

1. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

I mean obviously a bag is necessary to carry it around but which accessories do you use besides laptop cases, bags? Is a keyboard protector, screen protector, stand, cooler, graphic vinyls etc... necessary? There are plenty more accessories. Which ones do you use and think is a must?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

None of them is a must, it's up to you. Stand is nice if you plan to use it with ext monitor but otherwise not that useful. Cooler is also okay but not a must

3. kasakka macrumors 68000

Just a Magic Mouse, wired Apple small keyboard, VGA and DVI adapters and a mini-DP to Displayport cable. Oh and a FireWire audio interface for recording and playback because integrated soundcards suck. Of course, most of these are usually just stay at home but I do carry the keyboard and mouse and the adapters around.

4. tekmoe macrumors 68000

I only carry a set of lightweight headphones, an iSkin keyboard protector, and my power adapter with my MBP. With the way the trackpads work these days, I actually prefer using them over a mouse. Never would have thought it would turn out that way! :D

5. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

does anyone think a keyboard protector or a screen protector is a must? I mean it would suck to have a dirty keyboard or to have keyboard marks on screen.

6. Kawininja619 macrumors member

I dont think its really needed. My keyboard gets shiny, but thats just normal wear. It doesnt look dirty. I never get marks on my screen from it. Its all up to you.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I use a Moshi Palmguard; only thing I attach to my computer; it looks nice and when I take my laptop out in the winter, the palm rest isn't freezing cold. Plus I wear a watch that will scratch the soft aluminium.

8. Mirabella macrumors regular

Card reader, external drives, DVDs, and a case. I also have a mouse and a tablet, but I rarely use them.

9. WisdomWolf macrumors regular

I just got my 13" MBP and the only accessories I'm considering are a case or skin (to protect from scratches and make it less slippery), a Magic Mouse, and a bluetooth numpad.

10. seitou macrumors newbie

I use a Logitech VX Nano mouse with my MBP. Its design compliments the laptop very nicely and the usb dongle is tiny! Battery life and functionality are great too.

11. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

This is the gear I currently use:

At home:
    • Griffen Elevator stand
    • HP 22" external monitor
    • Logitech MX Revolution mouse
    • Apple Bluetooth keyboard
    • Harman Kardon Soundsticks II speakers
    • Wacom Intuos3 Tablet
    • Maxtor 500gb external hard drive (planning to get a larger one)
    On the go:
    • Microsoft Explorer Mini mouse w/ Bluetrack (on the go)
    • I'll either use Bose QC2s or my iPhone headphones when I'm away
    • Incase neoprene sleeve
    • Second power adapter
    • Sandisk Cruzer Extreme Contour 8 gig (flash drive)

Most of this stuff isn't really necessary, but this is my current setup and I love it. My opinion on things that actually attach to your mac (e.g., silicone keyboard covers, hard shells, screen films, etc): it detracts from the whole Mac feel. These laptops are designed to feel a certain way WITHOUT these attachments. I can understand getting some of this stuff, but I would never use it.

I'd definitely recommend a sleeve for your computer, and when I get one of the new MBPs in a few months, I'm probably going to get a Shaggymac keyboard cover (which doubles as a screen wipe), as I'm super anal about fingerprints on my screen.

EDIT: I highlighted the stuff that I think is really useful.

12. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Well, I got a keyboard protector for mine -- I'm clumsy and don't want to ruin a $2K piece of equipment by spilling water on it -- but have yet to see how it affects typing (keyboard response is really important to me). Also a sleeve and a portable external drive. Matte screen should be scratch-and fingerprint resistance, so no point in a screen protector.

Already have external monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, tablet, etc from my desktop, which I'll use when at my desk. I strongly recommend the external keyboard and mouse, since typing / mousing on a laptop atop a desk can be very uncomfortable. Also have a couple laptop bags from the last time I had a laptop. Looking for a small and inexpensive true USB 2.0 hub and will probably try to pick up a decent set of earbuds.

Might make a makeshift stand, but can't really think of anything else one would need.

13. Macchino macrumors regular

Incase neopren sleve, mbox 2 mini and NI audio 4 dj. Maybe my digi 003 rack now that i Got a FireWire port ón my new mbp