Which adapter do I use

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by notlob, Jun 11, 2009.

1. notlob macrumors newbie

This will be my very FIRST Mac purchase and I am looking so forward to it as I have been waiting for a few months now. I intend to purchase the higher end MBP 15". However when I go to order the MBP online, it has numerous options on the various adapters one may order...Mini DisplayPort to VGA; Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter etc... I hope to view some of my stuff through the TV from the MBP and I currently own a 50" plasma TV (which I believe is 1080p). As well, I intend to purchase the Apple LED Cinema Display (24” flat panel). As I am not at all familiar with any of this I would appreciate it if someone could tell me which adapters I will need to order for both of the above? Thanks in advance.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

For your TV, you'll need MiniDisplayPort-->DVI, and then a DVI-->HDMI cable. Alternatively, you can get MiniDisplayPort-->HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable from monoprice.com.

In order to connect to the 24" Apple Display, you'd need the $99 MDP-->Dual-Link DVI adapter.

3. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

ummm if he buys the Apple 24" Display he doesn't need any cables or adapters....

Dual Link DVI is only for 2560x1200 resolutions (30" displays).

4. Slypr macrumors member

Yep the LCD comes with a MiniDisyplayPort input cable built in

5. notlob thread starter macrumors newbie

For your TV, you'll need MiniDisplayPort-->DVI, and then a DVI-->HDMI cable. Alternatively, you can get MiniDisplayPort-->HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable from monoprice.com>

Thanks NewMacbookPlz, JasonR and Slyp for the replies. Looks like I only need to get one of the above for my TV. Much appreciated!

notlob