which Adblock Extension do YOU use in Google Chrome?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Benz63amg, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Benz63amg, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011

Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

Hey guys, i wanted to point this out there so we can all figure out what most of us use.

As most of you if not all use google chrome 12, the extension to block Ads which is called Adblock is a must, however, there are 2 version of Adblock for Chrome.

but heres the thing, there are 2 adblock extensions for chrome one is called "Adblock" and the other is called "Adblock Plus", now i have no idea which one is better but iv been a long time "Adblock" user and its been great. the reason i didnt even try "adblock plus" is because many people complain that it has memory leak problems and such.

Which one do you guys use and if so why do u use it over the other?

2. qCzar macrumors regular

I don't know if I'm in line to say this though I don't use AdBlock [Plus] anymore. I did at first. Not seeing ad's was fantastic. I loved it. Then, I started to slowly hate AdBlock. Not because it fell short of my expectations but because atop every flash content you mouse-over, a little popup appears. Asking if you'd prefer to block it. Over time, it got annoying.

Nowadays I don't find website ads very intrusive. Every now and again I'll get an ad with audio or one that pops-up over a news article but it's not that hard to close it; I've begun reading my articles few seconds late just so I don't get interrupted while reading.

Also, this has nothing to do with an iMac. You may have Chrome on your iMac but the question is software related, not about Apple Hardware ;)

3. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I use Ad Block somehow I still see ads when I'm on youtube.

4. qCzar macrumors regular

The ads on the videos are part of the player themselves. You'll notice that the ads are either before the video or appear during playback. The ads that appear while the video is being played are always at the same place on the video time-line slider. While the ads may appear at different times, the ads are always appear after 10% (or whatever it actually may be) of the video has played.

TL;DR: You can't block specific flash content inside flash content.

5. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

The pop up ads that appear during the video is why YouTube defaults to Flash.

There is not a way (yet) to produce these type of ads in pure html5/h.264. This is why marketers don't like Apple and iOS,bc then want to feed us all more advertising.

They irony of this thread ;)

Blocking ads in a web browser that is distributed by company that make 96% of it's revenue from selling advertising ;)

6. frankieboy macrumors regular

Adblock Plus for Google Chrome™ (Beta) - Version: 1.1.3. I haven't noticed memory leaks.

I also use FlashBlock - Version: 1.2.11.12. This blocks all Flash content unless I click on it.

I really like PithHelmet in Safari. It blocks more ads than Adblock Plus. But I like Chrome better than Safari, and Pithhelmet isn't available for Chrome.

7. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

Adblock plus still works best on firefox since it blocks 100% of all the youtube adds and most other flash-players thats why for certain sites I just switch to that browser.

8. TomDave macrumors newbie

I recommend reading this article: http://www.freewaregenius.com/2011/06/22/adblock-v-adblock-plus-two-chrome-extensions-compared/

"AdBlock" was inspired by Adblock Plus for Firefox (which is with more than 125 million downloads the most popular addon of all times) but is not related to the non-profit movement - the creator is in fact doing this for revenues he is getting through donations. A few months ago, the Adblock Plus community has released a version for Chrome which is based on the code of the Firefox version.

As far as I am concerned, I don't care who built it as long as it works. I have tested both and Adblock Plus really is more stable and does a better job blocking Youtube ads.