Which adobe software sequense is best for logo desgin

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by GeneKam, Mar 15, 2010.

1. GeneKam macrumors regular

Hey guys i am working on a new windshield decal for audi canada club by audiforum.ca Im not advertising or anything so don't get it wrong, I know first line sounds like some Nigerian spamer.

I never really used a sequence in my designs. I generally just use photoshop for everything. This time though its a bigger project so i am wondering what would be the best way of doing this. Such as start with illustrator for custom graphics, then move the project to the photoshop to add some writing and edit the graphics, then finally send it to indesign to finish everything to perfection. Something along those lines. Do you guy have any tips for this process?

2. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

It depends on the nature of the design. You could do the entire piece of art in Illustrator to keep it simple.

3. sigmadog macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

I agree. Unless you are dealing with photos or drawing bitmap images, there's no reason to use Photoshop. The whole thing - graphics, text, colors, etc - can probably be done in Illustrator.

InDesign is completely unnecessary for this project, unless the decal has multiple pages (now THAT would be interesting, and a technical marvel).

4. GeneKam thread starter macrumors regular

Lmao at the multiple pages!

Alright so illustrator only it is, hopefully i should get through this by the end off the weekend. Thanks guys!

5. ILikeTurtles macrumors 6502

I can't believe the number of these post from people attempting to do a job they have no business doing in the first place.

Ugh!

6. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

It's not so much the matter of have no business doing it, it's rather a matter of no expertise to do it. Any monkey can use Adobe products but that doesn't mean you'll be able to design a successful logo that takes skill and knowledge.

But people designing their own brands keeps me in business, if they don't make a car wreck of it I can't fix it :)

Back to the OP, Illustrator has a rather steep learning curve so I wouldn't recommend outlaying that amount of money for a one off... I would suggest using the 28-Day trial to for Illustrator or use Inkscape which is free and IMHO does a pretty good job.

My suggestion would be to try Inkscape then consider a product like Illustrator.

7. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

The best way to design is with tracing paper and a pencil. Not as cool, but much more effective. Once you get the final rendition done, scan it and then vectorize in Illustrator. Of course, having to tell you all that means you probably shouldn't be doing it. Certainly not for money.

Please post your results so that we can, ummm... help you with getting feedback. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

8. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

I love these threads. Hearing 'professionals' jumping up and down on a guy just trying to do a favour for a friend (OK for a few bucks, but so what) with snide comments. Sad.

9. sigmadog macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

Personally, I like helping nonprofessionals because design is fun, and I like to encourage people who are interested in it. It's not taking money away from me, because my clients prefer to work with professionals like me.

Arrogant designers irritate the hell out of me.

10. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

some people just love to hate... but it's ok, you guys must be the same people that knew how to use the entire adobe creative suite on day 1 without reading or asking any questions :rolleyes:

not every application for design requires hiring a "professional" and paying hundreds of dollars.... get over yourselves!

11. JoeDRC macrumors 6502

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I actually take the vector are and copy/paste it in inDesign so I have a version native to inDesign. If I can avoid "placing" a graphic, I will. There's nothing wrong with placed graphics, but if I can avoid that step, I will.

That said, there is no reason to "finish" a graphic in inDesign. That is a job for Illustrator.

No... you can spend four times longer doing it yourself and getting a much crappier result. But hey, if you got the software, go for it.

13. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

well you have to start somewhere...

pretty sure most people are not going to want to spend that kind of money to make stickers for a hobbyist/enthusiast type thing when all they are probably looking for is some lettering and the site logo thrown in there somewhere. contrary to your beliefs, it is possible to achieve those results without a graphic designer... you just wouldn't want to admit that because it doesn't make YOU money :cool:

14. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Although I agree with you somewhat, once you factor in the price it can be pretty even without the need for a learning curve.

Would I suggest learning CS4 or hiring a designer, well it really depends on the context of the work. Most times you can direct a non-designer to iStock with some open source software for a usable, doable cost effective results.

But there are times where the designer is a much better option.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I could achieve results with a pair of scissors and a comb, but I doubt a trained and experienced stylist would call it a haircut.

I see a lot of amateur work roll through our shop. It's always easy to spot... and rarely... rarely comes close to the level of even competent design. If you really want to settle for hobby-level results, knock yourself out.

All I ask is that you try not to spend two weeks on a job that should take two hours. Try not to lose half your files or have them in a format unsuitable for what you're trying to accomplish. And finally, try not to have your boss come running to me at the last minute looking to redo your work because it looks like [BLEEP!].

If you manage to avoid those pitfalls, congratulations! You've just become a semi-competent hobbyist designer. Time to tackle your brother-in-law's brochure for his part-time lawn mowing service.

I hear he's offering to pay you a whole six-pack for it.

16. JoshBoy macrumors 6502

JoshBoy

My advise is really learn illustrator for what it is, people on here a right. Most if not all of it should be done in that program. When I first started out most of my work was done in photoshop because i was "scared" of the pen tool :D Once you learn it a whole new world opens up. Keep photoshop for photos. Also indesign will be used if they ask for a business card design or stationary to be produced.

Good luck!!

17. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

uhh! Listen to yourself!

I don't even know what to say. Can't be bothered talking to someone so elitist such as yourself.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And yet, you just did. ;)

19. davedee65 macrumors regular

davedee65

Hi GeneKam not sure if this is still a live thread but I was just passing and was so shocked at the attitude of some of the 'professionals' here that I had to reply.

Firstly to your question: Yes a vector based programme would be best suited to what you want to achieve but if Photoshop is your tool of choice then I'm sure you can come up with something using that application that you'll be more than happy with as long as you keep the res high etc. I design mainly using Illustrator and so would obviously suggest that, but as has been mentioned the learning curve and cost is high. It may help if we could see the kind of end result you're after so that we can better advise you.

Secondly to the other posts: It makes me ashamed to be a designer if that's the kind of response you get to a genuine call for help. I've been in this business for a good few years now and never have I heard such arrogant and petulant rubbish. If you're all so successful that you can't spare the time to help why are you reading these posts, or is it just so you can pick on people like GeneKam and feel superior? Get a life and act like professionals.:mad:

20. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I think the problem is that most people historically don't "value" a designer's work thinking that they can do it themselves and that it's easy. You don't see people going onto a law forum and asking for free law advise. Or just because you work all day on cars as a mechanic doesn't mean you'll look at your neighbor's car for free.

Also they problem with doing work for free is that you'll get asked to do follow up work or worse, get tweaked to change your design for something more "cutting edge" or "sharp".

People think we go to college for 4 years and just learn how cut people out from backgrounds. We spend a more time learning typography, color theory, trends, and history. (at least at my school) So designers tend to get a little peeved that you want you brochure to have more pink because it's your favorite color.

21. JemsRoker macrumors newbie

I use photoshop and illustrator for logo design. I am not perfect in illustrator, so some times I take help from photoshop as I am expert in using photoshop.