Which ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by colinthejanitor, Nov 23, 2010.

1. colinthejanitor macrumors member

Hey all, quick question.

I've been using cable broadband for years and had no trouble at all connecting the supplied ethernet modem to my airport extreme base station. Unfortunately recently I have moved into an area not covered by Cable and am now having to use good old ADSL2+ phone line broadband. :(

This has caused me more headaches than i care to mention, drop outs, bad port forwarding/triggering, failed upnp... You name it, it can't do it!

The supplied modem/router is basically a pile of poo and the ISP won't supply me with an ethernet modem. Also, the router won't going into anything even remotely resembling a "modem only mode". It seems to want to do all the networking itself and gets into a huff if it can't.

So, my solution is to buy an ethernet modem and hook that up to my ever faithful airport extreme base station. But I have no idea which ones are reliable or efficient or work best in this setup environment.

Can anyone please recommend an ethernet modem that they either use or have seen in action, I really want the headaches to stop! :)

Thanks in advance!

2. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I have used this for a long while and I love it.

Much better than the 2Wire modem I got from AT&T.

3. colinthejanitor thread starter macrumors member

Good find but to be honest with you I was looking for a modem only specifically because of the fights my current stuff has with dhcp and nat etc.