Which "Air" Should I Get? (MacBook or iPad)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RubberShoes, Nov 5, 2013.

1. RubberShoes macrumors regular

I have a 4.5GHz 8-core Hackintosh with 24GB of RAM and about 6TB of storage.

...safe to say it handles just about all my needs...

But when the logic board of my 2009 13" MBP failed I lost the ability to really do anything outside of my tiny NYC bedroom. I have an iPad2 with a bluetooth keyboard that I use daily to surf the web and consume content. But when it comes to doing any writing or serious work I almost always turned to the MBP.

With the introduction of the iPad Air, the deals and trade-in values for the iPad2, and the new job and ability to spend a little cash, I've been debating hard to go between a used/refurbished 11" MBA or the new 16GB iPad Air. The iPad would offer a much better screen, much better battery life (because I'd be buying a 2012 or 2011 MBA) and I already have a bluetooth keyboard for serious writing sessions.

But the MBA would allow me to run OS X, remote desktop into the Mac Pro and use it like a real computer. I work in the OS X environment all day and really use various macs for all kinds of post production and creative work. I'm no stranger to terminal, and really enjoy the freedom OS X brings. However, with an 11" screen am I limiting myself so much that I might as well go with the iPad?

2. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

The iPad air isn't going to do anything different your iPad 2 does, except a bit faster and with better resolution. Your thing seems to be osX so why not keep the iPad you already own another year and buy a mba cheap?

3. RubberShoes thread starter macrumors regular

Cause I have a iPad2 that's jailbroken on iOS6 and with a smart cover. I feel like I can get a pretty decent return on that at this stage between iOS7 problems and lack of jailbreak. In a year I feel like it won't be worth a dime to anyone because it sure won't support iOS8.

And I use the iPad a lot. Realistically I spend a lot of time in front of it, why not make that experience better?

Where's this rumored 12" retina air damnit