Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Get Costco Kirkland luggage with the ballistic nylon fabric (NOT the hard shell, they crack easiest). They have massive zippers so they don't pull out and I've yet to have a handler damage one even in 10 years of owning my oldest. I won't buy another type. They're fantastic.

Oh and handlers prefer the 4 wheeled type as they still down the hold and they don't have to toss them which can cause damage.

Oh, thanks, actually I was asking about a briefcase that SS mentioned above. A bit OT, mea culpa. I already have a solid set of proper luggage. :)

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just how heavy are these briefcases? I've been on the lookout (without actively searching) for a high quality bag and these are tempting. I'd rather spend a lot of money once for a lifetime bag then spend half as much on a bag that will fall apart in a few years.

Oh, I agree. My mother had a heavy-duty leather school bag made for me at the age of seven by a professional saddler (two other bags had come apart within weeks, to her disgust); that bag did me until I finished High School, and only pride prevented me from using it subsequently. As an undergrad, I bought a leather briefcase, which saw me through undergrad and postgrad days. More recently still, I have splashed out on a number of briefcases.

Anyway, the Saddleback site gives the weight for each of the various bags at each of the various sizes. Note that this is the weight of the bag while empty - which is something that a lot of buyers may over-look.

My briefcase usually carries a computer, - my MBA - its peripherals, an iPod (and its peripherals, charger, adaptor, etc), actual note-books, real books, pens, and a few other bits and pieces.

My sense is that Saddleback sells a life-style aspiration, to males who wish to see themselves in a rugged environment. To be honest, in an urban environment in the first world, while attending meetings, I find that my other (Italian, or proto Italian briefcases) briefcases look better. But, in rough spots, or for a bag that will not rip, or tear, or one that you know will take anything that is thrown at it, Saddeback is superb.

Personally, I think their 'large' classic briefcase to be too large (I saw one 'in the wild' at a meeting; a Scandinavian colleague had one, and let me heft and handle it - this was before I bought my own briefcase) and their 'extra-large' is massive and - I would imagine - extraordinarily heavy.

My 'medium' classic is 6.6 lbs, and that is empty. It is a fantastic bag, but not one for every occasion. Subsequent to my purchase of the classic medium briefcase (in chestnut), they updated their line of briefcases, and I would have been interested in the Front Pocket Briefcase that was added to their line-up.

I also bought a trifold wallet of theirs, which is incredibly good, but also sometimes too bulky.

In my experience, the best way to get a discount on Saddleback stuff is to try the 'Dave's Deals' section; there are discounts up to 25% on occasion for products with slight imperfections.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Get Costco Kirkland luggage with the ballistic nylon fabric (NOT the hard shell, they crack easiest). They have massive YYK zippers (the size of a thumb) so they don't pull out and I've yet to have a handler damage one even in 10 years of owning my oldest. I won't buy another type. They're fantastic.

Oh and handlers prefer the 4 wheeled type as they still down the hold and they don't have to toss them which can cause damage.

Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds interesting, and I am a fan of well made and rugged luggage. My Samsonite suitcases have lasted well over a decade, and have been subjected to some pretty rough handling.

Oh, thanks, actually I was asking about a briefcase that SS mentioned above. A bit OT, mea culpa. I already have a solid set of proper luggage. :)

No, not OT at all; if well made, these things last and save you a lot of hassle and worry.
Oh gotcha. I was figuring briefcase was a regional term for luggage. Apologies.

No, briefcase is a briefcase, the sort of thing you carry computers, notebooks and paperwork in. I never travel anywhere without one.

Other terms - for specific needs - are week-end bags, holdalls, rucksacks, and, of course, suitcases.

Last edited:
Reactions: QuarterSwede

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
No, briefcase is a briefcase, the sort of thing you carry computers, notebooks and paperwork in. I never travel anywhere without one.

Other terms - for specific needs - are week-end bags, holdalls, rucksacks, and, of course, suitcases.
That helps. Thanks!

I remember the first time, while working in retail, someone came in asking for a spanner and I had no idea what they were talking about. He explained to me the American term is "wrench." Hadn't forgotten that experience. Lol.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Oh, I agree. My mother had a heavy-duty leather school bag made for me at the age of seven by a professional saddler (two other bags had come apart within weeks, to her disgust); that bag did me until I finished High School, and only pride prevented me from using it subsequently. As an undergrad, I bought a leather briefcase, which saw me through undergrad and postgrad days. More recently still, I have splashed out on a number of briefcases.

Anyway, the Saddleback site gives the weight for each of the various bags at each of the various sizes. Note that this is the weight of the bag while empty - which is something that a lot of buyers may over-look.

My briefcase usually carries a computer, - my MBA - its peripherals, an iPod (and its peripherals, charger, adaptor, etc), actual note-books, real books, pens, and a few other bits and pieces.

My sense is that Saddleback sells a life-style aspiration, to males who wish to see themselves in a rugged environment. To be honest, in an urban environment in the first world, I find that my other (Italian, or proto Italian briefcases) briefcases look better. But, in rough spots, or a bag that will to rip, or tear, Saddeback is superb.

Personally, I think their 'large' classic briefcase to be too large (I saw one 'in the wild' at a meeting; a Scandinavian colleague had one, and let me heft and handle it - this was before I bought my own briefcase) and their 'extra-large' is massive and - I would imagine - extraordinarily heavy.

My 'medium' classic is 6.6 lbs, and that is empty. It is a fantastic bag, but not one for every occasion. Subsequent to my purchase of the classic medium briefcase (in chestnut), they updated their line of briefcases, and I would have been interested in the Front Pocket Briefcase that was added to their line-up.

I also bought a trifold wallet of theirs, which is incredibly good, but also sometimes too bulky.

In my experience, the best way to get a discount on Saddleback stuff is to try the 'Dave's Deals' section; there are discounts up to 25% on occasion for products with slight imperfections.

Hehe, yes I noticed they definitely sell an image along with the bags. Well these sound a tad heavy but I'm still going to consider it. Do you have any other specific suggestions for a very well made briefcase?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That helps. Thanks!

I remember the first time, while working in retail, someone came in asking for a spanner and I had no idea what they were talking about. He explained to me the American term is "wrench." Hadn't forgotten that experience. Lol.

Yes, common words which describe different things are a hazard of transatlantic communication. Coming from the British Isles, we have a very distinct soft drink that goes by the name of 'soda'; it is a not-sweet mixer that is used to accompany a vodka, or with a slice of lime for a soft drink. In the States, 'soda' is a generic name for soft drinks, so when an American tourist asks for 'soda' in the UK or Ireland they don't get what they think thy a have been asking for.

Ditto food; there is a parallel vocabulary (reflecting different culinary and literary influences) such as aubergine (eggplant), courgette (zucchini), coriander (cilantro) and so on. Yes, I grew up with the word 'spanner'. 'Wrench' is a verb, but I saw it used in Cluedo, (the US version) and thus realised that elsewhere, it has become a noun….

'Trunk' versus 'boot' is another……..

Hehe, yes I noticed they definitely sell an image along with the bags. Well these sound a tad heavy but I'm still going to consider it. Do you have any other specific suggestions for a very well made briefcase?

Re Saddleback, apart from the weight (and possible 'aspirational ruggedness') the only other thing I am not crazy about is the religious default setting of the company. Religion matters to them. However, they do have superb - and I mean - superb - customer relations, professional, polite and helpful.

Our mutual friend @Shrink recommended the products of Colonel Littleton; they are stylish and expensive. That is what he told me he has used himself.

Anyway, I bought the Colonel Littleton 1943 Navigator bag (briefcase) two years ago, and like it a lot, - the design is gorgeous - but I am not crazy about the fact that the buckles are decorative rather than utilitarian, as snap closures take precedence over the buckles.

However, it is a few pounds lighter than the Saddleback product, and, while it does sport that 'rural American' look, it will happily do duty in an urban setting. Needless to say, it is nothing like as capacious as the Saddleback briefcase.

(That is actually one of the things I like about Saddleback; the bag closes with proper buckles - there is very little that can break, or give way, or need repair). It is also very forgiving when tossed in airline overhead bins.

I have also had a briefcase made by Osprey which I bought in London. The bag is lovely, but the shoulder strap leaves a bit to be desired (it is made of some sort of canvas, rather than leather, and has already given me trouble).

Likewise, I bought a briefcase from Church's - the same company that make superb shoes. This is an excellent briefcase, commodious, smart looking, yet well made.

When I am next employed in someplace 'challenging', where the salary is stupid, I shall treat myself to a briefcase from Adeney Swaine Brigg, and regret that I hadn't known of their products when I was on holiday in London last year.

Reactions: mobilehaathi

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
....Their suitcases don't have wheels, (I wrote to them about that) and they suggested that you buy one of those little portable retractable carts (or trolleys) the ones with handles and wheels to go with their incredibly sturdy suitcases. That is what they themselves do, I was informed.

That's a pretty significant problem actually. The separate trolleys solution seems to be something fewer people tolerate these days although it was initially common back in the day when wheeled bags started to become popular. The trolley is just another inconvenient object that has to be dealt with onboard the plane.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That's a pretty significant problem actually. The separate trolleys solution seems to be something fewer people tolerate these days although it was initially common back in the day when wheeled bags started to become popular. The trolley is just another inconvenient object that has to be dealt with onboard the plane.

Agreed. And it is one of the main reasons I didn't buy one of their suitcases, although I contemplated it, and wrote to them about this issue.

Relying on airport trolleys is not the answer, and a retractable trolley/cart is another thing to worry about when travelling to strange places.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
relying on trolley? thats a no no.

4-wheelers baby... always.

My old ('old' as in around 15-16 years old) Samsonite case is a two-wheeler; it has two rather large wheels, and balances beautifully, and follows me obediently, like a rather well-trained dog

Of course, these days, four wheels appears to be the norm for suitcases

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Quick tip for buying luggage: Look at what the airline crews are dragging behind them in the airport.

Airline crews don't check their bags though. Most tote carry-on sized roller bags.

If you're really paranoid about your stuff being safe (and light cigars with $100 bills:p) you can spring for a Zero Halliburton suitcase. I carry-on as often as I can. Continental allows the biggest carry-ons of the airlines I've flown.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Airline crews don't check their bags though. Most tote carry-on sized roller bags.

If you're really paranoid about your stuff being safe (and light cigars with $100 bills:p) you can spring for a Zero Halliburton suitcase. I carry-on as often as I can. Continental allows the biggest carry-ons of the airlines I've flown.

At those prices, they should pack themselves. :)

Truthfully, I'm amazed that my luggage gets to where I'm going reasonably intact as often as it does. But I still wrestle with two other baggage-related issues:

1. Accurately estimating weight: I usually travel light, but on a recent vacation trip to Alaska I needed more stuff than usual. When I checked the weight of my bag before leaving home, it was very close to Delta's 50 pound limit, so I shed a few items of clothing. Turns out I was quite a bit under, and I could have taken them along.

2. Recognizing my bags on the carousel: After years of watching my luggage circulate before realizing they were mine, I started to use distinctive tags (color and large print). That helped, but my tags seem to have a similar half-life to socks. Sturdy tags and fasteners are a must. Luggage with external compartments for tags are another solution.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I have American Traveler soft-sided bags, bought a 6-piece set that included 3 sizes of suitcases, toiletries bag, duffel (or overnight) bag and hanging bag. The largest one held up perfectly to Southwest baggage handlers over 8 flights in the last month (2 round trips, 2 legs each direction). It also held up fine to Delta and United handlers (2 legs each) when I flew to Mexico City and back.

Funny enough, the worst handling the bag has seen was when I went on a cruise, they lost the standard luggage tag as well as the paper one they ask you to attach so they can route it properly once on the ship. We drove to the terminal, all the tags were on the bag when handed to the porter at the drop-off, they were lost between the curb and the ship, I had to get it from the service desk on ship (fortunately it made it).

As for recognizing my bag on the carousel, I've had no trouble. I haven't seen many bags in the color of blue I have, plus I have duct tape wrapped around a piece of plastic on the bottom of the suitcase.

I have the feeling I don't travel nearly as much as some of you (my bags can sit in the closet for years, only getting used once a year), this year has been unusual that I've had to travel 3 times for work.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
My father has for as long as I can remember used Hartmann luggage. He travels a lot for work, not so much anymore but in the 90's he probably spent more time on business trips than in the office. It's held up well as far as I know. His technique is to check bags as infrequently as possible. It's amazing how much he manages to fit into carry on.

I on the other hand cannot travel without bringing at least 3x more clothes than I actually need. I have luggage set from LL Bean that has held up perfectly, though I can't say I fly more than a 2-3 times a year.

I think I have to agree with the others. If we're talking about how well they handle it- it probably comes down to airport equipment and individual staff. If we're talking about losing luggage- there are statistics out there.

Delta lost my luggage a couple years ago. Thankfully it was on the way back, rather than the way out. It took them less than 48hrs to locate and deliver the bag.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
That's a good idea. Thanks

Many flight attendants use the TravelPro FlightCrew4 luggage (most other TravelPro series are of lower quality). Others swear by the Kirkland brand because if it breaks they just exchange it for a new one.

The thing you need to remember, though, is that luggage will eventually be destroyed. It is designed to take a beating to protect what's inside. There is no airline that is "nicer" to luggage - if you travel enough you will see zippers and handles torn off and frames bent.

The question you need to answer is how often you plan on traveling. If it's less than once every month or two, go to TJ Maxx and buy something between $50-$100. It'll serve you well for years.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Delta lost my luggage a couple years ago. Thankfully it was on the way back, rather than the way out. It took them less than 48hrs to locate and deliver the bag.

This is the very reason I packed a set of the "basics" in my carry-on (socks, polo, underwear) when I flew to Mexico. Fortunately I didn't need it but it was a close call making the connection so I was concerned. Funny enough, that was also on Delta. Coming home, I'm not so worried about it.

Reactions: determined09

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
This is the very reason I packed a set of the "basics" in my carry-on (socks, polo, underwear) when I flew to Mexico. Fortunately I didn't need it but it was a close call making the connection so I was concerned. Funny enough, that was also on Delta. Coming home, I'm not so worried about it.

I always carry a change or two of clothing/underwear in my hand luggage for that precise reason; there have been a number of occasions in my life where it turned out to have been a good idea, times when luggage was delayed by several days.

Agreed, coming home, it is not such a pressing issue.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
I always carry a change or two of clothing/underwear in my hand luggage for that precise reason; there have been a number of occasions in my life where it turned out to have been a good idea, times when luggage was delayed by several days....

my hand luggage is always pre-packed and ready to go with the usual travel necessities and that definitely includes a change of underwear!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
my hand luggage is always pre-packed and ready to go with the usual travel necessities and that definitely includes a change of underwear!

No, a bitter lesson has been learned - the hard way - on that particular matter. Personal experience, and all that, followed by a fervently sworn whisper of 'never, ever again'.

Thus, my hand luggage always contains at least two changes of clothing, along with travelling toiletries. The basic necessities of life.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
My father has for as long as I can remember used Hartmann luggage. He travels a lot for work, not so much anymore but in the 90's he probably spent more time on business trips than in the office. It's held up well as far as I know. His technique is to check bags as infrequently as possible. It's amazing how much he manages to fit into carry on.

I on the other hand cannot travel without bringing at least 3x more clothes than I actually need. I have luggage set from LL Bean that has held up perfectly, though I can't say I fly more than a 2-3 times a year.

I think I have to agree with the others. If we're talking about how well they handle it- it probably comes down to airport equipment and individual staff. If we're talking about losing luggage- there are statistics out there.

That's good that Delta was able to locate your luggage.

I'll look at the Hartman luggage. Also

determined09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009

I've heard this brand before. I'll take a look at them also.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Great idea about packing the basics in your carry on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.