Which Airport Card? Me new to Imac G4

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dupret, May 21, 2009.

1. dupret macrumors newbie

Hi - just bought an Imac Power PC G4 (That's what the Info bit says).
    It's just had operating system 10.3 put in, and it's a really great little computer, visually and speedwise etc. BUT to get online with it I need an airport card, which I'm happy to buy somewhere, but have been asked which one I want - Airport or Airport Extreme. I honestly don't have a clue. How do I find this out? Any information very gratefully received. In hopes.. thankyou.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

EDIT: I must be on the fitz today. Had looked for iMacs with a G3 CPU.

According to MacTracker: Optional AirPort card (802.11b) and in the later models a Optional AirPort Extreme card (802.11b/g).

To find more about your System, open System Profiler (Applications > Utilities or :apple: > About This Mac > More Info...) and see the specs of your machine, and with that info you can go to http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/index-imac.html and see if your model even supports Airport.

Why don't you use a LAN cable?

3. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

What is the screen size, MHz, and video chip in your iMac G4? I ask because the last revision with USB 2.0 sporting either a 17" or 20" with a 1.25ghz G4 took Airport Extreme instead of the original Airport card.