Which Airport Express is this, and will it do a job for me??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by OceanFrog, Aug 25, 2015.

1. OceanFrog macrumors regular

I saw this Airport Express in a shop yesterday for €45, and I although I know its not the current generation (is it the previous one???) I was wondering if it could work to solve a problem for me??

[​IMG]

I have an Airport Extreme (generation before the current "tall" one) upstairs, and would like to strengthen my wi-fi signal downstairs primarily for my Sony TV and Amazon Fire Stick both of which struggle to get a signal.

Would the Airport Express pictured above work with my set up? Or would I be better with the latest generation Express for €109??? Or can anyone suggest anything else that might solve my problem?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That Express appears to be a wireless G model if I am reading the label correctly. At roughly $50 USD, that is hardly worth it considering we can get refurbished models right from Apple for $65 USD. See if Apple has a refurbished online store where you are located.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

look for 802.11N
    if it doesn't have the N, you'll have problems configuring it.
    The G version isn't supported by the current airport software, and the old airport software requires some work to make it run on the current versions of OS X

i agree, this probably isn't the best deal.
    you're better off with a refurb current model

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

also wireless repeating has some problems
    it can work in certain situations, but even then it's not always the best option.

*it can only repeat the signal it gets, so if the signal is weak where you put it, it doesn't have anything to repeat.
    *also even if the signal is strong, the repeater has to relay the information, meaning it's using half of the signal to talk to your main router, and the other half to the remote device.

5. OceanFrog thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the excellent replies guys. I'll skip it so and keep an eye open for a refurb Express on the Irish refurb store.

Would a current gen Express do the job for me? Even though I have a older Extreme (version 7.6.4 whatever that means)?

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes. It will work fine but keep in mind that for best performance you would want to use Ethernet to connect the two AirPorts.