Which Alum iMac screen is the best choice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mpaar, Jan 6, 2008.

1. mpaar macrumors newbie

I'm a newbie thinking about becoming a switcher . . .

Which Alum iMac screen is the best choice? 20" or 24"?

Resolution differences?
    Cooler running?
    More room for internal electronics?
    Dollars per diagonal inch?

I have no idea what might be good reason . . .

Thanks in advance,
    mikey

2. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

The 24" iMac is the way to go if you can afford it. You can't beat the extra screen space.

3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Well the 24" iMac is going to be better for everything except the dollars per inch, which is impossible to judge due to the other differences between the two machines.

The 24" should last longer, larger body surface area + more internal space = better cooling = longer life.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

5. MrGeePee macrumors regular

6. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Bear in mind the 20" screen is a 6bit TN Film based panel and the 24" is a true 8bit H-IPS panel. In other words, the 24" will give a better quality image with less dithering and you will not have colour distortion when viewing from indirect angles.

7. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Before I commited to an iMac I did a lot of reading (not only here, google is your best friend) and based on what I read about the quality of the lcd's, the 24" is the better screen.

With that aside it now boils down to costs. What are you willing to spend. Personally I wanted the whole sha-bang. Since your question was "Which Alum iMac screen is the best choice" it's a no contest, the 24" IS the best choice for me. What is the best choice for you? Only you can answer that.

8. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

I think the best choice overall is what Apple have provided with their standard 24" 2.4GHz model. You get the immediate advantage of bigger screen real estate and its ability to natively produce a full HD image (if HD video editing eventually becomes a hobby).

In terms of CPU power, I doubt many would notice the difference between the 2.4 and the 2.8GHz models. You'd get more real world benefit from saving the cash and buying more memory from a third party supplier.

9. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

If you can afford/accommodate a 24", there's no reason not to go for it.

I personally only want a 20" because a 24" wouldn't fit on my desk...

10. IEatApples macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

I was gonna start a new thread about this, but the answer to this question would (probably) be interesting to mpaar as well, so…

From what I understand the iMac is the least likely to se an upgrade on the 15th, even if it is approaching the end of life (according to the buyers guide). But, we know that Intel released the Penryns today (the 6th), and they're bound to end up in the iMacs (right?)… so, what I want to know is this:

With all the problems with the screen quality on both the 20" & 24" iMacs, and the possibility of an imminent upgrade, is it smart to buy the current version of the iMac? … It seems to me that it impossible to get one with a good screen, am I right? … Any news on the Screen issues? :confused:

11. dirtleg macrumors member

We faced this same dilemma a few months ago when we finally decided to update our old G3 iMac. We settled on the 20". A number of reasons; we used the price difference to upgrade RAM, HD and to add the iWork software package (which we like just fine). The 20" also fit into our work space better than the 24" would have. Going from the 15" to the 20" was an amazing jump for us. We don't miss the 24" as we have plenty of display space for all that we do. Our iMac is blazing fast at everything we use it for including web browsing with Safari. We are still using Tiger currently, as it came loaded on our iMac. But we are planning to upgrade to Leopard in the spring as we plan to load Xp or a Vista version of Windows to run some software that is not available or has better function than the Mac offerings.
    I would say that depending on where you are coming from will mean much in determining your level of satisfaction with your new iMac. If you are coming from 5 year old technology, as we were, then the 20" will probably be plenty of computer for you. If however you are already using a wide screen with more recent hardware and processing, then you may require a 24" hotrod to satisfy your jones for an upgrade. Your work demands will also need to be taken into account. We do not have a problem with the reported (and, yes they do exist) visual idiosyncrasies that come with the 20" display. If you move from side to side or up and down, you will see color distortion on the 20" monitor that may not appear on the 24". We, however, have no issues with this oddity as we do not rely on "true color" at every angle as a critical need.

The 20", as is, suits us just fine, thank you very much.

12. IEatApples macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

Thanks dirtleg, it's nice to hear that there are some 20" versions with good screens! :)

It makes me feel better about buying the 20" version… and I really don't need a 24" screen! :cool:

Anyway, mpaar I would go to an AppleStore, (or another store that sell these iMacs) and see them up close! I'm sure you would be happy with the 20" (if there's no screen issue… which you can check in store before you buy)… unless you really really really need the extra space (not likely), or you are a graphics professional (are you?)…

So… I say go with the 20", but make sure the screen is okay! :)