Which aluminium color resembles SS?

Gontarek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2015
Hello
For 4 years I have got AW S0 SS, became noble makes the watch very elegant. I plan to buy a new version of S4, but in my country the LTE service does not work, so I will have to pay much more for the SS version due to the LTE surcharge. That's why I am considering buying an aluminum version, is there such a difference in the appearance between aluminum and SS? I work in the office but I also swim a lot and I am very physically active, which color of Aluminum looks the least aluminum and resembles SS the most? Aluminium really looks like a toy?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
IMO none. They all have a very different look. Also the aluminum is brushed and to me doesn't look cheep or like a toy. Personally I have never cared much for stainless steel (was in the restaurant business for years and everything is stainless steel). Also too much reflection in sunlight (I run a lot).

While NONE looks like SS to me Aluminum looks the best and will pass as business casual/dress. Don't like Space Gray because it is too light (I owned one). It almost looks like a dirty aluminum and needs to be much, MUCH darker. And gold is golden in color and kind of trendy and neat for a while, but.....

Last edited:

johnyslats

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
Leeds, UK
Aluminium and SS have an extremely different finish. Have to agree that none of the colours look at all like their SS counterparts

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Aluminium really looks like a toy?
You're not the first to say this and I don't get this. Why, would you say that iphones 5, 6, 7 look like toys? They have casings made entirely out of brushed aluminium, just like Apple Watch.

Do unibody macbooks look like toys? :p I would say "no", but that's just me.

Anyway, as others have said, alu watch looks very different to stainless. Silver alu is really nice IMO in its own way though, and space grey too paired with darker bands. ...But everybody's taste is different, so... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.