Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2010
It took me a good two weeks to finally decide I was going to order the Sport aluminum model over the stainless steel model. Now I'm going back and forth on whether I should go with the Silver or Space Grey casing.

I initially was 100% sold on the Space Grey with Black sport band. However, the more I have been looking at pictures and using the mix your watch website, the more I start to like the Aluminum look. It also looks to match better with a more wide variety of bands than does Space Grey.

I'm almost to the point of changing my mind, but, I would have to spend an extra $50 bucks to get the Black Sport band I would want with it.

I think spending five minutes in person with both versions would be enough time for me to make a firm decision. However, I'm going to have to pre-order online ahead of time, so that won't really be a possibility. Curious if anyone else is in the same boat of indecision?

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I'll get the black, knowing it won't go with much of anything. It's a cleaner look to me, and my naked iphone 6 in that color has held up brilliantly. I'm not worried about visible scratches.

Last edited:

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2010
I'll get the black, knoing it wont got with much of anything. It's a cleaner look to me, and my naked iphone 6 in that color has held up brilliantly. I'm not worried about visible scratches.

I'm not worried about scratches either. There will be some for sure, but I'm betting a majority of people don't have problems with the casing or ion glass.

At this point, I just want the one the one that looks better (to me). I can't believe they don't already have some in the stores just for viewing for this very reason. As it is, you are going to get a lot of people, possibly myself included, that will be ordering two models of the watch just to ensure they get the one they want on launch day, which I would really rather not do for many reasons.

RodChester

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I was in the same spot as the OP. I was going to get the Space Black sport watch. However I have now decided to get the silver sport watch with a white band and buy a black sport band as well. To me I think the silver watch looks better with a lot more bands than the black. For me the Space Black watch only works with a black band.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I wouldn't mine a contrasting color to the black, like a yellow, red or purple.

Since my phone is named Forté, I'll probably go purple and black for Treble.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
This is something I've been debating as well. I'm just gonna go with the Spay Gray Sport with Black Sport Band knowing it won't match well with anything else.

My logic is this: If I wanted the watch to match better with other bands, I have to buy those bands (which most of them are between $150-250) and for that same extra bit of money, I could've spent that to upgrade to the SS model, which I've decided I don't want as I do not want to spend that much money on a product I'm not sure I'm going to love. This may or may not make sense to you, but that's how I see it.

Also, don't forget that you have two weeks to return the watch if you don't like it (although I'm sure shipping times will be through the roof at that point). I'm using the return period as a backup: If I end up absolutely loving the watch I may return my Sport and invest more for a SS model since at that point I'd know whether or not I like the product enough to warrant spending the extra money.

Anyone else taking a similar approach?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
This is something I've been debating as well. I'm just gonna go with the Spay Gray Sport with Black Sport Band knowing it won't match well with anything else.

My logic is this: If I wanted the watch to match better with other bands, I have to buy those bands (which most of them are between $150-250) and for that same extra bit of money, I could've spent that to upgrade to the SS model, which I've decided I don't want as I do not want to spend that much money on a product I'm not sure I'm going to love. This may or may not make sense to you, but that's how I see it.

Also, don't forget that you have two weeks to return the watch if you don't like it (although I'm sure shipping times will be through the roof at that point). I'm using the return period as a backup: If I end up absolutely loving the watch I may return my Sport and invest more for a SS model since at that point I'd know whether or not I like the product enough to warrant spending the extra money.

Anyone else taking a similar approach?

That is the exact logic I used. I am getting the SS, and will upgrade bands down the road. If I wanted the sport with different bands, I would put the extra money towards a more versatile SS watch.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
That is the exact logic I used. I am getting the SS, and will upgrade bands down the road. If I wanted the sport with different bands, I would put the extra money towards a more versatile SS watch.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought of it like this. I feel like if more people thought of it this way, their decision would be much easier.

KauaiBruce

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Kauai, HI
If I was getting the Sport it would be the black. It would look best with the black band AND I think it would be nicer with colored bands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.