Which and how much ram do i need?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lion114, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Lion114 macrumors newbie

i would like to upgrade my macbook pro 2012 mid with more Ram.

I'm using right now with 4GB Ram and its definitely not enough.

after upgrading the hard drive to an SSD one the computer got much faster.

i don't know how much ram should i get. 8 or 16GB.

I'm using the computer for school,internet,and parallels which is Virtual machine. no more than that. never played games and i don't do graphic designs on my mac..

how much you guys think i need?

and which one you guys think will be better?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008LTBJFW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=4UJ9NTB6R2LF&coliid=I25YYI8QR6LAX&psc…

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KQCOV5C/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=4UJ9NTB6R2LF&coliid=IALIT5ACGOS8Z&psc…

2. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

I have the same mid-2012 MBP and use 8GB. Works fine for browsing, word processing, and graphic design.

3. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

If buying 16GB is financially doable, you might as well go for it, especially depending how often you use the virtual machine. You can never have too much RAM :).

4. Jnesbitt82 macrumors 6502

Jnesbitt82

That first link you posted for Crucial is exactly what I purchased and installed in February 2014. Amazon says I paid $139.99 at the time. Lol

It worked great for my needs. I had external TB monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse while running in clamshell mode. On occasion, I used a Wacom pad with it too.

5. Lion114 thread starter macrumors newbie

well I'm not using too much with the virtual machine but i do use sometimes.
    which link will be better for me and for my mac by the way?

6. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

They're both identical in terms of specs. The Kingston RAM looks better which is really the only difference, aside from the minor price difference.

7. Jnesbitt82 macrumors 6502

Jnesbitt82

Well, the first one is cheaper and it's Apple Certified according to its description.

8. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

Because you run VMs and because the price difference between 8 and 16 isnt all that much, I would personally opt for 16GB if it were me. This gives you more to allocate to your guests. I've always used Crucial RAM myself, with very consistent experiences across different platforms.

9. jerryk macrumors 68030

I think I went with Crucial in my 2011 13 MBP. Worked great. I believe I paid around $75 for 16 GB in 2014.