Which and When? MacBook Pro / Air

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ramfe, Sep 1, 2012.

  1. ramfe macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2012
    #1
    Hello everyone!
    First of all thanks for reading this, and I hope you can help me!

    I'm planning on buying a new Mac in late January, early February.
    I want either the MBP or the MBA.
    I will use it as everyday computer, but also for music, recording, video editing, etc.

    Although I really really like the design of the MBA, I've read that it would suit better for me the MBP.

    So I though about the MBP 13" (MD102LL/A)
    13-inch: 2.9 GHz
    2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i7
    Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    8GB 1600MHz memory
    750GB 5400-rpm hard drive1
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Built-in battery (7 hours)


    Should I go for this version of the 13" MBP or the 13" MBA?
    Is there much difference between the MBP 13" and 15"? (I'm not interested in the new Retina Display)

    And as I mentioned earlier the time when I'm gonna buy it is around January-February 2013, so when the time comes should I buy it or wait until a new version is released? Perhaps a new version will be released by then?

    Thanks a lot for your time! I appreciate it! And I hope I can have your opinion and recommendations :)
     
  2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

    Dark Void

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2011
    Location:
    Cimmerian End
    #2
    I believe February is around the time that the MBP gets a refresh, so you may want to hold out when January approaches and see what happens and what information is released by then.
     
  3. Liquinn Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #3
    It never ends really. I thought Haswell's slated for March 2013?
     
  4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

    Dark Void

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2011
    Location:
    Cimmerian End
    #4
    I am not certain, just going by past experiences. I thought "around February" was standard for a refresh, could be wrong of course.
     
  5. sviato macrumors 68020

    sviato

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2010
    Location:
    HR 9038 A
    #5
    There wasn't one in February this year iirc, both the MBA and MBP were refreshed in June
     
  6. Dark Void macrumors 68030

    Dark Void

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2011
    Location:
    Cimmerian End
    #6
    Very well then, thanks for adding that.

    In any case, OP, buy now if you "need" it now and if it can wait then I certainly would considering it's not a necessity at the moment. Perhaps some more speculation, credited rumors, or even official announcements will surface between now and then.
     
  7. ramfe thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2012
    #7
    Thanks guys for your answer!

    I've also heard the rumor of a 13" MBP retina display out this year. But just a rumor!

    I'll wait till January cause maybe they'll release a new one. Thanks!
     
  8. ramfe, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012

    ramfe thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2012
    #8
    Sorry for the double post, but I found this video review and at 1:45 he says that the 13" MBP with 8gb RAM and 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 is very limited in terms of upgrading it.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKFElNbCAIo

    Is it true? Why is that so?


    And I've heard that the MBA is not "upgradeable". But what does upgradeable actually means? sorry a newbie here.

    Thank you!!
     
  9. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2011
    Location:
    California, USA
    #9
    The RAM in the MBA is soldered directly to the motherboard, and can't be replaced by the user. Only way to get more RAM is to buy a custom model from Apple for an extra $100. The SSD is upgradeable, but is a little more difficult than a macbook pro.
     

Share This Page