which anti-glare film doesn't have blur?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by demonz500, Jun 20, 2012.

1. demonz500 macrumors newbie

I bought a Power Support anti-glare film for my 13-inch Macbook Pro. It looked good before I turn on the power. It has a lot of blurs on screen, it makes me feel so uncomfortable and so hard to read on the screen.
    So does anyone know if there is any anti-glare film which doesn't have blur ?
    Thanks.

2. satchow macrumors 6502

That's just the nature of anti-glare. The same technology that reduces the glare off the screen also blurs the light coming through the film.

3. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

Here is my layman's interpretation of what happens through a anti glare layer.

The light entering the screen from the outside is scattered by imperfections on the matte layer. The light is therefore reflected pseudorandomly across the film rather than at a right angle to the incident light. However the flip side is that light needs to travel from the inside of the screen through the film to your eyes. Light will similarly be scattered so you do not necessarily see the light from the pixel you are directly looking at making it look blurry.

4. PeopleTheseDays macrumors regular

This. I wonder though, how come the stock anti-glare screen has much less blur than all these films like power support and caltech?

5. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

Aftermarket anti-glare has to add a layer to try and remove glare. Apple can replace or remove a layer to reduce glare. This way they aren't dealing with a glossy screen to begin with so they don't have to follow the same tricks.

6. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

Yes. For a similar thing, compare say the Dell U2711 to the Thunderbolt monitor; same hardware panel, and the Dell isn't any blurrier. Added-on stuff will tend to produce more blur, which is why the people who liked anti-glare screens are sort of hosed unless/until Apple chooses to release one. (No, the 15" "high-res" doesn't count; 1050 pixels is not enough.)

7. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

The stock anti glare layer is more or less just a roughed up gloss screen. When you stick something on the light then needs to travel through the existing glass/plastic, a layer of adhesive, another player of plastic and then to your eye.