Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

truz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2006
Florida
jamescwarren said:
Norton Anti-Virus 10.0 or Intego Virus Barrior X4?

You don't need antivirus software. The only viruses it's going to pickup is Windows related ones which do not effect mac's.

If you must have one tho, I would stay away from norton.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
truz said:
If you must have one tho, I would stay away from norton.
I'll second that. I've never used it on a Mac, but on a PC it's just the pits.
Sophos do a Mac version of their scanner to the best of my knowledge... I'm not using anything on mine though, it really does seem pointless. If there ever was a serious threat then I'd imagine the press will make a big deal out of it like they do already, unlike Windows viruses which are two a penny.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I don't use anti virus... never have (unless you count a couple of weeks when I tried Virex for OS 8-ish).

If you want to scan for Windows viruses, though, the free (but donate if you like it ;)) ClamXav is a good alternative... :)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
At the point when we actually need anti-virus software, I'd choose Intego VirusBarrier or McAfee Virex, which you didn't note.

Norton/Symantec products are counterproductive on Macs and tend to cause more problems than they solve.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
jamescwarren said:
Norton Anti-Virus 10.0 or Intego Virus Barrior X4?
If you really must Intego isn't bad, though it seems to have problems with turbo mode, without its fine and still pretty fast (compared to Clam XAV and Sophos which want to take all day, literally)

Gnorn

macrumors regular
May 7, 2006
The Tavern, Thornwood
Stupid n00b question here :eek: but... isn't XP under Boot Camp vulnerable to viruses? :confused:

Not that I'm planning on using XP on my future Macintel, but just courious...

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
He best AV software in the world is OS X Tiger.

If you must run AV software to prevent you from unintentionally passing along viruses to your Windows using friends, then look no further than the free - OK donationware - ClamXav. It is all that you will need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.