which antivirus?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gerri Shin, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Gerri Shin macrumors member

I'm not worried about viruses on Mac OS, but I do use it in conjuction with Windows frequently. I've done a little research on AV software for mac and I've used ClamXav and iAntivirus before, but I was wondering if there really was an advantage in going with a paid program like Intego's Virus barrier or ProtectMac?

Does anyone here have any experience with Virus barrier and/or ProtectMac that would help me find any worthwhile differences between paid and free av software for Mac?

2. tsam19 macrumors member

tsam19

which antivirus?

I was wondering the same thing, after installing ClamXav & running a scan it managed to find a few 'windows' related files that were possibly trojans.

I have windows installed on a separate partition using the boot camp method.

Is ClamXav the best free antivirus for the Mac or are there other platforms to use that are more thorough ?

Thanks in advance. :D

3. harleygold macrumors regular

harleygold

im curious to know about this too. I don't have anything Windows installed on this Apple just yet, but should I be worried now?

4. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

If you have a virus or a trojan on your Windows partition, it will not affect the Mac partition in any way because Mac and Windows use two completely different file systems. Installing an antivirus program on a Mac is annoying and in most cases unnecessary.

5. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

The term "in most cases" is where you have to be careful.

Antivirus is a pain in the backside no matter the OS...it slows everything down, and takes up space that could be used for something useful, like soothing sounds mp3s to help you sleep...but if, and i mean IF, you do get a virus...what good is the mp3 if your mac or pc has crashed and burned from it.

Better safe than sorry.

In the Windows world I've never seen any evidence that the paid guys are any better than the free ones, and in many cases the free ones actually catch and cna get rid of, or fix, things that the paid guys missed all together.

In the Mac world I use ClamXav

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Go to the MacHeist bundle and get Intego's Virus Barrier for Free.