Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HeadshotSK

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
Comcast cable comes in through attic.

MP 4,1 w/airport card in work den.

PS3 in Livingroom (hope to stream iTunes playlists via medialink)

Epson 7800 printer in basement (used to have 1st gen AP exp until Mavericks bricked it useless!)

Anyone have ideas on a decent config. that will work for me?
I'm seeing a lot of cheap AP Extremes (small pizza box style) on CL for pretty good deals around here.

What you think! One in the attic to replace the old Rosewill router and one in the basement by the printer? My RIP software demands an ethernet IP address string even though it's USB to printer.

Thanks!

HeadshotSK

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
When you say Mavericks bricked it, what do you mean? You can no longer manage it, or does it fail to work overall?

If management is the problem, Corey J. Mahler has compiled an installer and opening script. This is the link.

http://coreyjmahler.com/2013/03/08/airport-utility-5-6-on-os-x-v10-8-mountain-lion/

An AirPort Extreme or an Express (2012) model will serve you just fine.

Yes I'm afraid so!
AP.U 6.x for Mav's officially does not work with the oldest of Exp & Ext's.
And maybe for the best, I hadn't even realized it was about 10 yrs old already! I shows up on the graphic window and then says not supported or something like that.

Thanks to all for your help. I need 2, so I'm going to find the best deal I can on something not too old...
I see loads of NIB APE's (tall ones) out there for $150 so I may grab on as my main cable->modem->router and then a smaller Exp for the printer in the basement.

As long as it's smart enough to serve as my media server to the PS3 that's the main thing LOL!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I think any upgrades you do to your network are for the better. If you need to save some money download that file from the link I provided (All Credit to Corey Mahler). Inside the DMG will be AirPort Utility 5.6.1 and a launcher for Mavericks. Drag AirPort Utility onto the launcher app. You will now be able to manage your AirPort!

HeadshotSK

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
At first I was really pissed at Apple but then I read some of the reasoning for it and a lot being security gapes so it'd be nice to have something a bit more secure.

However all it does (did) is run a massive 7800 the size of a casket in my basement! Just like a super long USB cable I'd have to run along my radiator pipes if I used a cable.

OK, I'm going to try it, keep you posted...

HeadshotSK

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
Negativo Captain....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-07 at 8.19.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-07 at 8.19.20 PM.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 162

HeadshotSK

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
No that didn't work, I simply Option+Open and the script used the app within to open!!

I have a question: The past 2 years I've been running this thing, and was NEVER able to print from this APExp alone. I had to create a new network at this point and 'switch' to that network when I wanted to print.

And in the process losing my internet connection until the printing was complete! (I use a RIP software called Imageprint). In the setup for I.P. I have to add the ethernet address of the port (even though it's USB)

Is there a way to access the printer without creating a new network?
I can't believe this is working! I searched a long time online too lol....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-07 at 8.27.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-07 at 8.27.40 PM.png
    137.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2014-01-07 at 8.23.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-07 at 8.23.12 PM.png
    153.2 KB · Views: 69

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Try backing up the configuration. Then reset the AirPort to factory settings. Since the AirPort is connected to Ethernet on the first router follow these steps. Connect the Express in Bridge Mode and either create a wireless network with the same SSID as the first router. Or set it up as a client which turns the wireless off completely. I would set the printer as a static address and add a reservation to the Rosewill router.

HeadshotSK

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
This is where I ran into problems a couple years ago when I first set this up. it's the extent of my understanding of wireless anything.

I'm not sure but assumedly I thought the AP card in the MP was talking directly to the APE no?

I pressed the reset button a few days ago anyway so it was set to factory.
A screenshot of IF I went the static route, for which I have no idea what any of that means!

Thanks for your help btw, you've gone above and beyond what anyone shoule be expected to do on here!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
If the Express is in bridge mode it should act like simply a switch and access point for the Rosewill. When setting it up use bridge mode and the same SSID. It should boost wireless around the house and allow the printer to work when connected to your regular network.

----------

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4260

Go to the section on how to configure. It will explain it all. Remember it must be connected by Ethernet to the Rosewill, and USB to the casket-sized printer.

HeadshotSK

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
Before I check the Apple site as I'm about to, I did find the Bridge mode in APU. In order to even configure that I had to keep switching my AP toolbar icon to basestation from Rosewill.

I found the ethernet address too and IP setup accepted that.

But for the record, the Rosewill is in the attic so there's no REAL ethernet connection anywhere, the IP app is just using the port so that the USB port on the APE is fooled into talking to the printer.

There could be some unique thing here that you're not expecting because of the way IP behaves. It's not like traditional wireless printing

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-07 at 8.57.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-07 at 8.57.03 PM.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 67

HeadshotSK

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
Well, the GREAT news is, by using [turning off] Bridge Mode via the one legacy APU you sent me that actually works, my RIP app is feeding the printer, I made a quick test and it's back online!!

The not too bad but 'I'll take it' news is that I think I'm going to have to add some kind of Apple base station of sorts to the attic config.

The cable for internet used to come through the alley and into my bedroom wall. I thought that was unsightly so I got on my roof and drilled through so all is invisible. It's screwed into the Comcast modem, and then an ethernet cable going into the Rosewill. I got Rosewill cuz it was cheap, gave me wireless internet and simply worked.
Along the way I never could figure how to get my PS3 to talk to my Mac via Medialink (pane pref) so I just let that go, and added the older APE in the basement and was happy to get my printer off valuable main floor living space. It's a bone dry basement so it's all good.

Even the hassle of having to switch wireless connections from Rosewill to APE to print, and thus losing internet was ok by me.
But now I want to perfect the setup so somehow I think I have to get an Apple base station of sorts either in place of the router or connected to it. Not quite sure yet!

Thanks for all your help, I'm printing again which is kinda needed for business!!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I would get two Apple base stations! Since you cannot run Ethernet, by the sounds of it, this is going to be the next best option and would help you alot!

Get an Extreme and an Express or two Expresses. Set one up as the router in the attic handling DHCP and NAT, then in the basement setup the new Express in AirPort Utility 6 to "Extend" the network wirelessly. That would give you stronger signal and let your printer and all other devices be on one LAN. The older Express you use now does not support wirelessly extending to my knowledge.

HeadshotSK

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
So maybe I'll splurge on the new Extreme for the attic to control everything, and then use a newer wall-plug mount express for the printer then?
By my savvy CL calculations I'd be looking at somewhere around $150 + $75.
Chicago's a big market! But then so is Ebay.

Would I just eliminate the Rosewill altogether and put it to pasture?
I'm guessing the modem would just connect to the APExt in the attic, and then I'd bounce the printer orders from MP to attic to basement rather than MP to basement?

Thanks again so much for your help, I HOPE this thread is read by a lot of people because so much great info was passed along here.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Make sure you get the 2012 model Express! It won't be bouncing, per se. But it will work. The Express will also be putting off a wireless signal if set to extend. This will make devices join which ever AP is stronger. However, remember bandwidth is cut in half when extending (half to connect to Extreme, half for clients). Or the new Express could "Join" the network and do nothing but act as an Ethernet port and USB port on your network.

HeadshotSK

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
The Express will also be putting off a wireless signal if set to extend. This will make devices join which ever AP is stronger. However, remember bandwidth is cut in half when extending (half to connect to Extreme, half for clients). Or the new Express could "Join" the network and do nothing but act as an Ethernet port and USB port on your network.

I only print about 2-3 days a week for maybe about an hour at a time so it'll see minimal use. I think the latter would be the better configuration then...

Some guy has 2 of these extremes for $130 nearby. I think that's the deal to grab
Model Number A1408
Order Number MD031LL/A
(6/11-6/13)

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Two Extremes will be more than plenty. You could even do two 2012 Expresses. The USB port on the Extreme will work fine for the printer, plus one network name. That is a good deal for two of them!

HeadshotSK

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
Hey I got em!
Now to get up to the attic...
Still not sure if I can simply use one of these AS my router or if it has to be added to the Rosewill...
I'd rather get that old piece of dinosaur off my setup entirely!

OH and great news they're the 1408's!! $130.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
The old Rosewill can absolutely be replaced. Start with one Extreme that will work as the router. Disconnect the Rosewill and run an Ethernet cable from the port on the modem to the WAN port on the Extreme. Fire up AirPort Utility and follow the steps. I recommend using 6 for this setup! Now just glance back at this one's settings and make sure it is not set to bridge mode but rather DHCP and NAT are enabled. Once that is done (should take you less than 5 minutes), we are ready to setup the second one.

The next one will be setup to "Extend" the network. This function is easy to do in AirPort Utility 6. Plug it in and enter all the settings. This will extend the network so that you get better signal throughout your home. Plug in the printer via USB and you are done!

HeadshotSK

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
The old Rosewill can kiss my A$$!!! :)
Even the printer added and printed without a hitch.

Extend to the basestation 'Attic'?
Why yes, thank you!
Tito's up, blue cheese olives with that? Dirty?
Absolutely, why thank you.

AMAZING how easy it was to set this all up. Now to see if the PS3 picks up my APE.....

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Just make sure the base station in the attic is running DHCP and NAT and is not in bridge mode. I have had problems doing that before in bridge mode. AirPort Utility should have a globe labeled Internet with a solid line to "Attic" and a dotted line to "Basement".

HeadshotSK

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
IT IS!!! I'M IN!!

And streaming a 18gb Quantum of Solace file through walls onto my 50" plasma. 2 years I've been without my streaming to PS3 capabilities, I can print and surf the web at the same time.

Magic, thanks Altemose for all your time!
I'm shocked at how easy it was to do this.

Now...there's that way to stream Spotify to the PS3...hmmm lol!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.