Which app is the culprit (battery draining!)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iluvifone, Feb 27, 2011.

1. iluvifone macrumors 6502

I'm using an iphone 4, ios 4.0.1.

For the past week, i've spent a lot of time monitoring my battery.
    I would leave my phone turned on overnight, not charging, while i slept, with no apps running, and after 7 hours, i'd wake up and still find it with the same charge i left it at. Pretty good if you ask me.

Now, I don't usually go install new cydia apps etc left and right, unless they are useful. So 2 nights ago, I installed a bunch from cydia (listed below), and my battery dropped 7% overnight. Again, same conditions as before, and 7% loss. I'm curious to see what you guys think is the culprit for the battery drain (please explain why also).

Thank you for your time!

Pull to Refresh Mail
    INoRotate
    LightBright
    SB Silent Vibrate Toggle
    Rotation Inhibitor
    Spring Flash

2. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

I'm not sure about the apps on your list, but I've noticed, occasion, that my usage time matches my standby time. This caused my battery to drain faster than normal.

I have found that The Weather Channel will get stuck running every once-in-awhile. Also, my Game Center (either Angry Birds or Fruit Ninja) will keep it running sometimes too.

3. aldo82 macrumors regular

I would suggest that when you had 0 battery loss in 7 hours that that was the erroneous result and that depending on your signal strength, the 7% overnight is perhaps more likely. The battery indicator isn't linear and I've noticed can stay on 100% much longer than the lower percentages. Bear in mind that your iphone will use battery power over 7 hours, it has to otherwise your standby times would be phenomenal!

If there is an actual app at fault then I can only suggest you uninstall them and re-install one at a time to see if you can find the culprit. Again remembering that the battery indicator isn't linear so best to run each test from full charge

4. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

5. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I've never jailbroken my iPhone as I do not have a need for it. However, I can say that a 3%-7% battery drain overnight is nothing new and is proper function.
    I believe that many people forget to realize that during the night, their phones will transfer data to AT&T/Verizon over 3G. Sometimes hundreds of megabytes.
    This will use battery, and can be the partial problem to your battery drain.

6. iluvifone thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, but if you read the OP, you'd know that my first test was done jailbroken.

Really? I've never heard or seen that before.. perhaps you meant, hundreds of KB's? :D

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Although I find SBsettings useful, it doesn't like my phone and drains the battery faster. I just added it a few days ago and, sure enough, the battery is draining like a sieve.
    For you, the best way to determine the culprit is to add the apps one at a time. You'll eventually find the culprit.

8. iluvifone thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for that. I decided to run a couple tests at the same percentage, and chose 93% (arbitrary number), and would leave my phone idle at exactly 93% late at night, and check it exactly 9 hours later, in the morning. Without the above apps, I had a loss of 4% overnight, which is the exact same I had with them installed, when I ran the test again.

I guess what confused me was the battery linearity. Who knew?

But anyway, thank you again!