Which app to get for basic Word and Excel editing?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Denis54, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Denis54 macrumors member

I just bought an iPad this weekend and am learning how to use it.

I would like to get an app that would allow me to create and/or edit simple Word and Excel documents on my iPad.

I often travel to locations where I do not have Wi-Fi acces and therefore I need an application that would allow me to upload my documents to my iPad before I leave and to move them back to my PC once I come back.

Which application should I get?

I have read good comments about Pages and Numbers as well as about Documents to Go. Any other one I should look at?

2. zorahk macrumors 6502

Just get pages and numbers, and good reader for PDFs

3. Denis54 thread starter macrumors member

Are documents created and/or edited with Pages and Numbers compatible with Word and Excel?

Will I be able to upload them to my PC and open them with Word and Excel?

4. MSUSpartan macrumors 6502

Kind of. They work but you might lose some formatting.

5. gwen1o macrumors member

gwen1o

Yes, and remember, Google is your friend... :cool:

6. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

You can import Word and Excel documents into Pages and Numbers if the files are on your iDisk. You can then export them as PDFs or DOC and XLS files. If the original files have a lot of formatting you might prefer something like QuickOffice HD which has native support for Word and Excel files and can be used with DropBox. Personally I prefer working with the iWorks programs but they do have some limitations.

7. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm a longtime user of Documents To Go. Curious about Quickoffice, particularly the save as PDF feature, so I bought it last night. My initial impression is that, at least for Word files, DTG is a more robust solution. There was certain formatting in the files I viewed that was rendered faithfully in DTG but not QO. The remote server access feature in DTG also enables you to view the files offline (at least the ones you've viewed once). I couldn't see a way to do this in QO short of actually saving a copy of the file from the cloud and onto your local folder.

8. archdelux macrumors 6502

Does docs to go have a searchfeature where you can search the text of the word doc...I had incorrectlyassumed thi was standard and was disappointed to find it missing in quick office...