Which Apple computer to buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ImEatingApple, Jun 12, 2011.

1. ImEatingApple macrumors newbie

Hello people!

I am new here. I am looking for a while now to buy an Apple computer. But I like three models and I don't know which to buy. I'm going to buy is next year, but I want to be sure now which one I am going to buy. I can't choose between iMac, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air. For all the models I would go for the baseline.

I tried an iMac when I was at a friend's house, and a MacBook Pro, too. I also tried a MacBook Air really short in a Premium Reseller. I really really like the MacBook Air's resolution, the 11" is better res than 13" MBP, but I worked with MBP and it is not an issue actually.

I am going to use this apps: Photoshop CS5, a lot, and I mean A LOT, of Safari, iMovie, iPhoto, GarageBand, either iWork or Office '11 (or both, I don't know what school thinks), and some iTunes music listening and some emailing.

I really hope that on Wednesday's MacBook Air refresh the baseline has 128GB instead of 64GB because I don't think 64GB is enough.

What do you guys think?

2. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

It is really based on your needs and budget. The OS is gonna be the same for all of them.

Do you want portability? Do you want power?

The MBP is the mix between both. As the imac will give you the power and speed while the air is extremely portable.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

CS5 on a MBA all the time wont be very fun nor fast compared to a MBP or iMac.

4. ImEatingApple thread starter macrumors newbie

I like portabilty, but I dont need it. If the MBA had more GBs I would choose MBA definitely, but I think 64 GB is just too less.

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I converted to a MBP from a higher-end custom built PC;

Intel i7 950 CPU @ 3.4ghz
    Zalman CNPS10X Extreme 120mm CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte x58a-UD5 Rev2.0 Mobo
    Gigabyte Nvidia 470 GTX Video Card
    12GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    2 x OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD (Raid 0) OS – That’s 100,000 IOPS
    2 x 1TB Western Digital HDDs (Data Replicated to Externals)
    2 x 1TB Western Ditigal External HDDs
    2 x DVD+-RW Burners
    Creative X-Fi SoundBlaster Card
    Logitech 5.1 THX Speakers
    Dell 24″ u2410 IPS-Panel Monitor
    X-Rite i1Display 2

I built a PC and Hackintosh but after playing in OS X, I decided I couldnt go back to windows and I wanted a MAC but also some portability so I opted for the 2.3GHz 15" MBP with the base RAM, HDD and just added a Hi-Res Antiglare screen. This MBP is every bit as fast as my desktop (except for some video&storage) but I dont game so that wasnt a huge deal.

This MBP is FAST and amazing I love it. I would highly recommend a MBP and a refurb one too. As a photographer for editorial magazines I needed some HorsePower to edit 25mp RAWs and the MBP does it fine.

6. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

I mean we can't even really help you until you make a few decisions on your own.

First, do you want something that's portable or do you want a desktop device. This will narrow down your choices to either one of the portables, or you can get the iMac.

If you decide you want a portable, choose whether you want a "full" machine with an ODD, large HDD, and the ability to upgrade the RAM. If you do, buy the MBP.

If you would rather have a portable machine, don't mind that it's processor is a little slower because it has a built in SSD, and you don't care about having an ODD or the ability to upgrade in the future and also don't need an ethernet or FW port, get the MBA.