Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Husband and I will be doing some podcasts and recording the guest via Skype or some other method as they won't be on location. Will the processor in the MacBook be acceptable? I would get the faster version. I would prefer not to go for a desktop as we have two iMacs in another room but want to record in his office and that is filled with his work computers.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
If you are just going to be using regular microphones and Skype, the MacBook will be fine. If you are going to be using some studio equipment or specialized equipment; I would opt for a MacBook Pro, if not for the horsepower, but for the ports it offers. The MacBook has only 1 port - a USB type-C connector and you would require a dangle connector for almost any audio equipment today.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
If you are just going to be using regular microphones and Skype, the MacBook will be fine. If you are going to be using some studio equipment or specialized equipment; I would opt for a MacBook Pro, if not for the horsepower, but for the ports it offers. The MacBook has only 1 port - a USB type-C connector and you would require a dangle connector for almost any audio equipment today.
Thanks! We want to keep it simple as I will be doing all the tech work...so I am thinking just a nice studio usb style mic will be all we will use. The lack of ports is tricky...I just liked the design of the Mac Book and was hoping it would work.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
@tl01: record via Skype with a 480p FaceTime camera? As mtneer said you will be better off if you opt for a retina MacBook Pro for many reasons.

It's going to be audio only but as I understand we can use Skype and then a app like audio hijack to capture the audio.

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
Husband and I will be doing some podcasts and recording the guest via Skype or some other method as they won't be on location. Will the processor in the MacBook be acceptable? I would get the faster version. I would prefer not to go for a desktop as we have two iMacs in another room but want to record in his office and that is filled with his work computers.
Even the 1.1ghz version will be plenty for that usage (not that there's anything wrong with getting the faster one).

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I would opt for a 13" retina MacBook Pro.
I think the MacBook is good only if you are continuously on the go

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Okay. Perhaps we shall get the Pro...I just love the form factor of the MacBook!;)

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
Okay. Perhaps we shall get the Pro...I just love the form factor of the MacBook!;)
I don't care what Mac you get of course, but why do you now think you should get the MBP instead?

You should keep in mind that there are some regular posters here who pretty much try to talk everyone out of getting the MB - they don't like it, and don't think anyone else should either.

Reactions: Jetcat3

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I would opt for a 13" retina MacBook Pro.
I think the MacBook is good only if you are continuously on the go

I was just gonna say....this sounds like a use case for a pro or an Air. Sure, the MacBook is slick and cool but you have to pay a premium for that coolness and lightness. Use those dollars for Much beefier hardware and performance or save money and just get a MacBook Air.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
I don't care what Mac you get of course, but why do you now think you should get the MBP instead?

You should keep in mind that there are some regular posters here who pretty much try to talk everyone out of getting the MB - they don't like it, and don't think anyone else should either.

I haven't done enough research to be honest. I don't want to be penny wise pound foolish. What confuses me is why the MacBook Pro can be had for not much more than the MacBook. I imagine the Pro costing more. Is the form factor part of the MacBook cost?

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

If you can why not get the rMB it on that sale/return (14 day trial) and put it to the test :)

rMB form factor, new production cost etc etc all contribute to it's price

Last edited:

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
I haven't done enough research to be honest. I don't want to be penny wise pound foolish. What confuses me is why the MacBook Pro can be had for not much more than the MacBook. I imagine the Pro costing more. Is the form factor part of the MacBook cost?
I guess you have to decide what you're really after. You started the thread asking whether the MB CPU is powerful enough for podcasting. It is. You seemed to be pretty excited about the form factor and don't think the lack of ports is an issue.

If you're now questioning the value compared to other Macs, that's certainly fair enough, but really only you can answer that.

You could get a MBA for relatively cheap (especially the 11") but you're giving up the retina screen... so weigh how important the screen is to you. You could get the MBP which offers retina screen, more power in a slightly larger package. With the MB, you're getting the retina screen and the super slim form factor. There are tradeoffs and compromises for each line of laptops. Identify your priorities, budget and what you want. But the bottom line is that any of the Mac laptops is going to be more than adequate for something like podcasting.

Just don't let some people calling the MB a "novelty", etc. confuse you from buying why you want. That's their issues with the MB.

Good luck!

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004
As other have said, the 13 rMB is probably the way to go. I'm now using a 15 rMBP, which is probably overkill for most needs, but better aligned with my workstation aspirations. I just bought my woman a MacBook, which is good enough for her needs. But her needs are: surfing the web, MS Word, Netflix, and occasionally manipulating photos a bit. No how, no way, would a Macbook suit my needs, except as a semi-tablet. I bought my oldest boys a 13 rMBP, and I'm jealous. It's so much lighter and smaller than my 15 rMBP, and the screen is gorgeous! For 90% of what I do, I can't tell the difference in performance between their 13 rMBP and my 15. I also have a 13 MBA that my work issues me, and I just can't bear the screen on it. I only use it in situations where I absolutely have to be behind the VPN, which are increasingly rare - so it gathers dust.

If the MBA 13 was refreshed with a retina display, it'd certainly be worth a second look. But for now, I think the 13 rMBP is Apple's sweet spot for laptops. Gorgeous display, good horsepower, solid battery life, good ports & connectivity, and good size/weight.

The MacBook is interesting as a second computer. But, frankly, I find the Surface Pro line better-suited for what the MacBook offers in that it's got a lot more horsepower and can also be used as a true tablet. YMMV.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
That is soooo lame... even more lame than your trolling of MB threads.
I see you can't take an advice. What happened, have I stepped on your toe? Does it hurt so much? Never mind. It'll pass.
And don't get paranoid, it does not help, like playing the role of an agent provocatuer:
Just don't let some people calling the MB a "novelty", etc. confuse you from buying why you want. That's their issues with the MB.

Last but not least, let me react
to your infantile manifestation with your own words:
...Sometimes it's really difficult to believe that some of these people are professionals and not twelve year olds.

Last edited:

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
I appreciate all the thoughts as it gets me thinking more. I can see pros and cons of both. I do just happen to like the form factor of the MacBook but that isn't the most important part. Function over form I guess. I'll keeping thinking while DH decides when exactly I get to purchase;). Can't wait!

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
I appreciate all the thoughts as it gets me thinking more. I can see pros and cons of both. I do just happen to like the form factor of the MacBook but that isn't the most important part. Function over form I guess. I'll keeping thinking while DH decides when exactly I get to purchase;). Can't wait!
tl01 , enjoy whatever device you decide to buy. :)

P.S.: You got it ;), function over form and not vice versa. Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.