Which Apple Rebate Printer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Strivelli, May 29, 2010.

1. Strivelli macrumors newbie

Hey,

I'll be in college in about 3 months (Penn State University - Engineering) and I'm getting ready to put in a tasty order for a new computer. I was going to grab a 15" MBP i7 with a hi-res glossy display, an 8GB (rebatable) iPod Touch, an iPad (16GB non 3G), and a printer (rebatable). I was wondering.. which printer that Apple offers would be the best to get... I have to keep in mind that it's sole use will probably be just for printing papers and maybe some pictures, but I have a hard time buying a printer that will collect dust. I have 4 all in ones in my home and use em all the time, so that seems to be the right route.. While trying to spend as little money as possible.. 30-50$ (if I have to), which printer should I buy? Seems as if the following models are in my range/GAI (General Interest Area)

Epson Artisan 50 InkJet Printer
    HP Photosmart C4680 All-in-One...
    Canon PIXMA MP490 Photo All-in-One...
    HP Photosmart C4780 All-in-One...
    Epson Stylus NX510 All-in-One Printer
    HP Photosmart Plus All-in-One Printer
    Epson WorkForce 615 All-in-One...
    Canon PIXMA MP560 Wireless Photo...

I should probably add that I all of the printers in my home are HPs..So I'm kind of leaning toward the HP C4780.. But I guess I shouldn't lock myself into them.. That'd be naïve. Umm. All review/suggestions welcome! Thanks in advance!

PS.. Tell me if I'm dumb for getting an iPod Touch 8GB and an iPad 16GB while I have a 16GB iPhone 3Gs... I really want an iPad...

Strivelli

2. ProperNoun macrumors newbie

Wow I'm going to Penn State for Engineering this fall too! Do you know what kind of engineering you specifically want to do?

Anyway, on topic...I ordered a a 15'' 2.4GHZ i5 HiRes AntiGlare for this fall along with an 8GB Touch and the Canon Pixma MP560. Although I just got the printer Thursday, it has been awesome for the few times I've used it. The ability to print and scan through Wi-Fi was a major reason I chose the MP560. I don't know about you, but I'm sure not going to feel like hooking in a USB cable every time I want to print (which I'm assuming will be very often).

The MP560 is $49 after the rebate though, so you may not want to spend that much. Might as well spend a little extra and get a good printer rather than get the standard one and have it be a piece of junk though.

3. Strivelli thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks! That's incredibly ironic that you're going for engineering! I told them Electrical Engineering at my FTCAP scheduling, which was this past Thursday. What are you going for? Pretty awesome to find a friend on MacRumors! I haven't really done much in the way of school yet.. Did my FTCAP stuff (ID, Account/Email, Scheduling) but haven't done anything else really.. Still looking for a dorm mate lol..

In regards to the forum topic. Im definitely gonna look at that printer! I'm sure they'll all work fine for school, just want some outsider opinions.

4. ProperNoun macrumors newbie

Ahh cool cool, I'm going for Computer Engineering. My FTCAP is this upcoming Thursday... same day my MacBook Pro comes through FedEx. That's going to be a painful few hours at Penn State. Anyways, what exactly did you do at FTCAP, I'm curious as to how long it is / whether you just choose classes and leave or what.

5. Strivelli thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I live about 5 hours out.. So I drove up with my mom Wednesday night and stayed at a hotel on campus.. Then registration started at 7:30 am, but I got to the HUB at 8:15.. When you get there.. You check in and get a schedule and room assignment and map. Then you go into the ID line and get your picture taken.. You get your card which you then use to activate your PSU access account.. Which is your email and ELion account access. Then the students to go a 3 hour boring meeting about stuff to do while at PSU and blah blah.. Then at 12:00 you eat lunch with your parent/family.. After that, you would make your way over to the Hammond building which is the engineering building and you sit in like a 45-60 minute seminar.. Then FINALLY you go into a room based upon your major and schedule your first semester courses.. the adviser in the room will tell you what you should take and blah blah blah.. After finalizing your schedule, you print it, and you're free to go!!! Since Hammond building is on college ave, you can go shopping at the many many stores for clothes and Penn state stuff!!! Start 7:30.. End 5:00 (LATEST)

6. ProperNoun macrumors newbie

Oh man that's pretty long...okay thanks for explaining everything, that clears it up!

7. Strivelli thread starter macrumors newbie

8. ProperNoun macrumors newbie

Sorry dude, my buddy I've known a long time is also going there for engineering and we already made plans to dorm together in West Halls. Appreciate the offer though, we engineers have to stick together :D

9. Strivelli thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey man, don't worry about it!! I completely understand! Do you by any chance known anyone else going to psu for anything lol and looking for a dormmate?

10. ProperNoun macrumors newbie

lol I only know one other person going to PSU besides the kid I'm dorming with... and she's going to the Abington branch campus. Try this Penn State Class of 2014 facebook group, just make a post on the wall seeing if anyone needs someone to dorm with.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=119781438667&v=wall&ref=mf

11. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Don't buy any of the hp's I can tell you from personal experiance they eat ink for breakfast lunch and dinner.

12. longball11 macrumors 6502a

longball11

Sorry to steal your thread for a minute. I ordered a macbook pro with ipod touch and free printer for the BTS. I see where to ipod rebate. But where do I find the rebate for the printer or where claim my rebate for the printer? BTW I bought it online.

13. ProperNoun macrumors newbie

When I filled out the rebate form online, it automatically submitted both the iPod and Printer ones for me. No need to fill out two.

If you go to http://www.apple.com/promo/rebate/status.html it will list your current rebates being processed.

Back to School 2010 is the iPod
    Perfect Companion 20 is the printer.

14. Wingscofounder macrumors member

FWIW, I would recommend getting a mono laser (unless you need color) like the Brother or Samsung lower-end models that can be found w/ rebates/coupons for <$50. You can sell your free printer (after rebate, or choose not to buy one). I went through grad school, wrote close to 85 papers, printed a TON of pdf's, and never bought any supplies except paper. Good luck with your studies!

15. opera57 macrumors 6502

I would highly recommend one of the HP printers. I got a Photosmart c4480 with my Macbook last year and it's great, however the ink can be rather expensive! [​IMG]

16. Strivelli thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all of the quick replies :)!! I'm still in a pickle on which to buy :-/ any more suggestions!??

17. MortalDays macrumors regular

I am taking advantage of the promotion offers as well...

(http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=925113)

I am purchasing my MBP on Saturday... and planning to get the Canon MP 560 since it is within my $150 price range w/ wireless capability and decent ink usage value. I currently have a Hp C6380 for my pc desktop and I got to say, it is a ink hog... The Canon MP 560 receives many nice reviews on Bestbuy.com and on cnet. I think the Canon MP 560 is the best choice for your buck. :rolleyes:

18. Strivelli thread starter macrumors newbie

I have seen a bunch of good things about the Canon MP560.. I think in terms of ink usage, the Canon works out best.. For black and white documents.. It seems as if, all of the printers' qualities are the same. The problems I've heard about are about the easy of connectivity to the computer. I have 3 HPs at home, and the scanners only work when they want to. I can use their WebScan features, but using the Scan menu in the printer box, or using HP Scan Pro usually craps out for me. I have heard setting up the Canon MP560 can be worse.. Can anyone testify?

19. iOrlando macrumors 68000

they are all the same....

one is not going to be terribly better than any other.

you said you were just going to print papers and everyone who says they will print photos never do because no matter what, printing photos is expensive, a pain, and they usually still come out horrible.

20. MortalDays macrumors regular

I USED to have the exact same problem with wireless and scanning connecting issues with my hp printers. You could solve this problem by making sure your computer has installed the LATEST software drivers to run the printer. For example, I bought my hp printer when Vista was popular; then I upgraded to Windows 7 and everything starts to go south with wi-fi and scanning. It took me a few months to realize to check the hp (or printer manufacturer) website for the latest drivers. After I installed the drivers, everything works like a charm. ;)