Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
I currently have a S0 Apple Watch that I bought when it was released in 2015. It’s definitely showing it’s age as the battery barely lasts through the day and the device often stutters while in use. I use the device mainly for notifications and don’t really care about the fitness tracking. As all models will support this, I don’t really want to pay extra for features I won’t use, but also want a model that will last a few years of os updates. The series 1 is appealing as it doesn’t cost much, but I’m worried it won’t get many more watchOS updates, so I’m unsure if I should get the series 1, 3, or wait for new models to be released. Any thoughts?

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
I have the Series 2 and am very satisfied with it. End of the day, watch is between 40-75%..... depends on how much exercising I do for it to track.

Last edited:

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada
If you can hold off, wait for the Series 4 to be announced. Then either that or a reduced price Series 3.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I went from a 0 to a 3 (no LTE) last fall

night and day difference,
battery went from 20% at the end of day 1 to 30% at the end of day 2 (more than double battery life)
and with the speed increase, trying to do things on it becomes much less painful, you might find you use it more.

I slightly wish I had gotten the LTE, although I'm still not sure I would leave the house without my phone, there have been a couple times.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
At this point, I'd recommend you wait until the September and decide which one you want to buy unless your watch is literally dead. Series 4 should be more than capable to last 2-3 years without any problem.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
I am waiting to see what the S4 offers. If not what I want, will get an S3.

As far as battery life, I run my S0 in Theater Mode. Easily goes all day. Use it for Notifications, iMessages, Workouts and check heart stats quite often through out the day.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I currently have a S0 Apple Watch that I bought when it was released in 2015. It’s definitely showing it’s age as the battery barely lasts through the day and the device often stutters while in use. I use the device mainly for notifications and don’t really care about the fitness tracking. As all models will support this, I don’t really want to pay extra for features I won’t use, but also want a model that will last a few years of os updates. The series 1 is appealing as it doesn’t cost much, but I’m worried it won’t get many more watchOS updates, so I’m unsure if I should get the series 1, 3, or wait for new models to be released. Any thoughts?

Wait. It’s that simple. The fall keynote is less than two months away and it’s fairly certain there will be a Series 4, which, Apple may retain the Series 3 in their lineup for a discounted price that you might find appealing as well. The only consideration with Series one, it has a slightly faster processor. Series 3 has an incredibly much more powerful faster dual core processor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.