Which AppleTV for streaming from iPad air2

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by kaydot, Aug 2, 2016.

1. kaydot macrumors regular

Hello,

I'm in a household with an iPad Air2 and an HDMI-capable TV. I want to watch the olympics that I'm able to stream to my Air2 apps on the TV. I don't have an appleTV right now. Since looking into various iPad mirroring techs (including the expensive, and highly faulty lightning-AV cable), it seems that for just a few extra dollars, I might be able to afford an AppleTV and use Airplay. I'd strictly be using the AppleTV to stream Olympic sports to my TV from my iPad, and then probably disconnect it until the next streaming occasion (like NHL or NBA playoffs).

Do you all recommend this as a possible path forward? And if so, which model of AppleTV? Do they all support AirPlay? I suppose I could simply stream directly from those Apps if they exist natively for AppleTV.

Could I get by on the A5 processor of the Gen3 AppleTV? Or do I need the RevA?

I'm really suspiscous of the A5 processor since that's what's in the iPad3, and it's a total dog.

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. mikzn macrumors 6502a

mikzn

Both versions will do the job and work with the iPad Air2

I have both - big difference is ( new version ATV for me) is the ability to turn the Screen off with the remote and control the volume. Which means only one remote for me - may depend on the model of TV / screen.

I thought the apps were going to be a big deal - but there really aren't any interesting apps other than netflix and youtube and a few others that were all available on the previous versions of apple TV.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I have an Apple TV 2, and it copes just fine with AirPlay. So 2,3 or 4 should be fine.

4. Garsun macrumors regular

Garsun

I have both Apple TVs and they both stream from my iPad just fine.
    I also have a lightning to HDMI adapter that I used to stream 4K content from my iPhone to my 4K TV and it also works perfectly.
    I have had some apps that disallowed streaming to the Apple TVs, so watch out for that.