Which apps. are must haves?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Tuckmonster, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Tuckmonster macrumors regular

Fill me in what apps do I need to get. My favorites so far -izoo, send a song, and iphysics.. what are some of your favs?

2. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

To be honest, for me, Mail is the only add-on app I find necessary.

3. Pippen Man macrumors regular

Me too, Mail, Stocks, and Weather are the key ones I use everyday. I don't use the third party apps any more, since Jailbreaking has become harder and more time involved. I'm running a clean 1.1.3 w/ Software Update (I got it for free!:D)

Just holding in there until 1.1.4, or 1.2, or 2.0 comes out with the SDK.:)

4. macfan881 macrumors 68020

To me the only one besides mail stocks etc is summer board

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

Mail is great. everything else is nice but not a must-have.

6. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

screenshot, bossprefs, bosstool, mail, stocks, weather, mobilecast, mobileRSS, Summerboard, Customize, Categories, Pool, iPhysics

those are the ones i use most often

oh yea, and don't forget about Installer.app, lol that literally is a must have

7. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

Aside from the Apple apps (all of which I use every day), the single most important one for me is the SIP-VoIP application developed by Touchmods. I use it to make free calls from Japan to the United States on my iPod touch every day.

8. theman macrumors 6502a

nothing is really that essential. i just have a bunch of random games (iphysics, solitaire, labyrinth, TapTap Revolution (cool game..)) as well as some other weird stuff, like a virtual guitar, virtual piano, a tone generator (i like sounds, lol). the only app i find essential is Safari!

9. bnizzy macrumors member

What is "send a song" ???

How good is the sound quality with the VoIP app?? And where did you get the microphone for it? Is it worth it? Is the app completely free?

10. Tuckmonster thread starter macrumors regular

send a song is an app that allows you to send any mp3 in your ipod to any email address. Its cool

11. jbarr macrumors regular

My "must-have" apps are (in no particular order):

Wikipedia.app
    WiFiSwitch
    "January Update" apps
    Books

Beyond that, not much else.

12. arrjaytea macrumors newbie

iCrossword - had been waiting a while for this one. :)

Other than that I only use Mail and Weather.

13. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

You should be able to find the answer to all your questions about VoIP in the Stikied threads here.

AFAIK, there are no providers that are completely free. Some give you 10 free calls etc., but you'll have to pay eventually. There are a few other options for mics that I've seen, but the one by TouchMods seems to be the best/most popular (i don't actually have one).

14. delude macrumors 6502

^Freecall and Voipbuster give you 300 free minutes a week, which is more than enough for me. The only down side is that you are limited to landlines, but that is still pretty damn good!

EDIT: I have a touchmods mic, and it is awesome. I would only ever try to use that, and not another cheaper option.

15. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

For me it's Summerboard.

I use mostly the Apple apps. and use the jailbreak to change backgrounds, etc.

16. Goliath macrumors regular

Goliath

Definately the Apple app's- I find myself using Mail and Notes rather a lot. Maps and weather are also handy on the occasions i need them

I found myself downloading and installing all kinds of stuff when I initially 'jailbraked' but eventually ended up deleting most of the app's- some were cool to show off, others pretty useless but I found myself keeping

WeDict- Very good dictionary programme and I installed the thesaurus and entymolgy modules as well as a couple of different WeDict dictionaries. Ultimately I'd love someone to release a full Oxford English or Collin's Dictionary for the programme- I'd even be prepared to pay for it

Also kept FiveDice (Yahtzee clone) and iBlackjack for bit of fun

Labyrinth and ContraSense I kept- they're fun and show off the Touch's accelerometer capabilities very well.

Photoboard just because it shows off Multi-Touch pretty well for my photo's