Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xanadeath

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
California
I am a taptap addict and I am on a 3GS. Taptap should be running silky smooth and it's not. I am trying to figure out which of my jailbreak apps I should remove. I have winterboard, reflective dock, backrounder, cydelete, memtool, qik, and powertool. I don't notice any change in the amount of memory being used since before the jailbreak, but I have no method of checking iow much processor is being used. I used the setting to turn off winterboard and noticed no difference..... Help would ne greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Xanadeath

xanadeath

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
California
ive decided to go no jailbreak. If i back up in itunes and restore it from the backup will the fact that it was jailbroken when it was backed up affect anything?

chrisms

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2009
ive decided to go no jailbreak. If i back up in itunes and restore it from the backup will the fact that it was jailbroken when it was backed up affect anything?

if you decide to un-jailbreak, the steps i've seen most suggested are DFU mode, restore from 3.0 firmware (regular restore) set it up as a *new* phone.

Then to go back to your backup, DFU mode, restore from backup.

Then I don't think apple can tell it's been jailbroken unless they try hard

foob

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2009
If you're not running those apps, they shouldn't affect performance. I don't play TapTap but I downloaded it to test push once and it seemed to run fine on my jailbroken 3G with 5 rows, 5 columns, 5 icon dock, reflective dock, winterboard with sixteen different items checked, and with backrounder, cydelete, and memtool installed.

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
It's having the MobileSubstrate loaded that affects performance. From what I can tell, it's not "more mobilesubstrate apps = slower".. I can have 1 mobilesubstrate app loaded or 10 and it feels the same. So that just tells me its just having the Mobilesubstrate loaded that makes the phone less snappy.

Barely noticeable on the 3gs luckily.. but still there. I remember the lag being a lot worse on my old 3G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.