Which apps to kill?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mpossoff, Sep 18, 2011.

1. mpossoff macrumors 68020

How do you know which apps to kill that run in the background? It's obvious the calculator app doesn't run in the background.

Is there an app that tells you which apps are running in the background that will drain your battery?

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Why don't you just kill off all of them to preserve your battery life?

3. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

OR kill none of them because they are designed to only run when needed. Apps that use GPS are a little different, but a compass arrow shows up on top of the screen when they are running. You may gain back a little bit of memory, but that's only needed when when things start to feel a little slugish (only happened to me a handfull of times since iOS 4 came out.

Apple put a lot of thought into their multi-tasking in iOS. It may not allow for ultimate freedom, but it does very well for the way it was designed.

4. shandyman Suspended

exactly this. it's not multitasking in the way a computer does it, so it doesn't really matter if you close them or not.

5. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I agree with this but I would and always do kill GPS apps I'm not using. The background GPS uses battery more than any of the other background processes. But mostly, the user really doesn't need to worry about it.

6. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Agreed. The only apps I kill are gps apps and apps such as Skype that stay connected in the background (Skype in particular is a huge battery drain to leave running).

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

To answer your question, the one I see most folks talk about (and one of the ones I use) is "SYSTEM Manager for Memory, Processes, Battery and Network" from AppHome. They have a free Lite version.

8. batting1000 macrumors 604

I kill all apps each time before I lock my iPod.

9. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sounds like a huge hassle for something which has little effect on performance/battery life.

10. batting1000 macrumors 604

It's just something I prefer to do, even though I know it doesn't effect battery life a lot.