Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which one?

• Pro

Votes: 351 54.4%
  • Pro Max

Votes: 294 45.6%

• Total voters

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
It's amusing how the screen size has gone down but prices have gone up. The mini costs about 10% more than the normal iPhone 11.
I would attribute the difference to the oled display. BOE, a Chinese manufacturer of displays, who was supposed to provide oled panels at less cost than Samsung didn’t come through this year. They sampled BOE’s displays and they didn’t meet apples standards. So now you most likely have a quality Samsung panel on the mini so you’re gonna pay for it my friend. :)

Johnny907

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2014
Pro. I tried to pocket an XS Max when they came out and the stupid thing stuck out and was not comfortable at all. With the 12 Pro already slightly larger than the 11 Pro, there's no way I'd go bigger even if it means sacrificing slightly better camera performance.

Reactions: dhcofc

Oblivion1337

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2018
UK
If you could confirm that, I’d be really happy. Just saw a Twitter leak on iPh13 and some of variance will come up with BoE display. Saw iPh13 pro will be with sensor shift as well which is key differentiator for me. But I will still go ahead with 12 Pro lines.

I would attribute the difference to the oled display. BOE, a Chinese manufacturer of displays, who was supposed to provide oled panels at less cost than Samsung didn’t come through this year. They sampled BOE’s displays and they didn’t meet apples standards. So now you most likely have a quality Samsung panel on the mini so you’re gonna pay for it my friend. :)

lindseybp

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
I am really torn here. Currently have 11P but was consudering 12PMax. But....I have not had a phone that big before. Camera upgrades are intriguing to me as my phone is my main camera for taking family pics and I like longer battery life. Is the 12PMax battery life a lot longer than 12P? Is there any site that has something I could print out to at least see the difference in width/height between the two?

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
If you could confirm that, I’d be really happy. Just saw a Twitter leak on iPh13 and some of variance will come up with BoE display. Saw iPh13 pro will be with sensor shift as well which is key differentiator for me. But I will still go ahead with 12 Pro lines.
I got that info right here in macrumors. Lol. I have little doubt that BOE will become more of a major player for the ip13.

Reactions: Oblivion1337

Oblivion1337

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2018
UK
It is not the case for me. Waiting is like my favourite game. For eg. I been reading PS5 news and chatters since June 2020 and pre order in September and still waiting for launch day in November. Even after getting a console, few of my favourite games will only released by 2021. Likewise, I ordered a bike in advance of 6 months which was famously out of stock everywhere and still waiting its delivery.

In Pro Max case, it is all about personal usability. With nearly half pound weighing, sharp edges frame will be very hard to use with pinch points and high chance of slip/drop hazard for everyday use and another is pocketability. That’s why it was scribbled out of the list.
I am kind of form over functions. Do I wanna look like Jason Statham or Ethan Kurt? Cool or irrelevant? ?

Be honest all you 12P buyers. If the Max was available at the same time, you'd be getting it. Amirite?

Reactions: Boardiesboi

Mike__

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2020
Currently I have the XS Max which is working completely fine, but hype took over and I'm planning on getting the 12 pro. I feel like the camera on the 11 Pro was amazing and feel the XS Max camera doesn't cut it so much anymore. I love taking pictures and the convenience of doing this on my phone pushes me towards the Pro.

I'm not really interested in the 12 Pro Max, simply due to the size. I sometimes find my XS Max can be too big so I'll give the 12 Pro a try and hope I don't miss that little extra screen size.

I work on a 16" Macbook Pro all day and have an iPad at the side of me too so I shouldn't struggle.

OT2000

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2007
California
Pro.

I was holding out for hope that the Pro Max would have a smaller footprint and weigh less, but since it's actually bigger, I'll stick with the Pro.

Reactions: ecr80

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
According to Xcode the pro line will have 6gb of ram and the lower two models will have 4gb of ram.

Scott Baret

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
Neither! Mini all the way!!
I need something that fits in a pocket of chinos, not the carpenter jeans from 1998!!

Reactions: ecr80

RyCan3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2010
I might order a case on Amazon and it would be here Saturday. That way I could feel the size of the pro max and determine if I want to keep the preorder for the 12 pro or get the max.

Reactions: BrightCanon

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Looking to “downsize” from my XSMax to the 12 Pro. As it is, my XSMax just barely fits my cars wireless charging pad/bay. Also, depending on what I’m wearing, there are times when the top corner is sticking out of my pocket. Plus, I have a 2020 iPad Pro 12.9 and a new 27” iMac on the way. If I need large screens, I have them.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I am really torn here. Currently have 11P but was consudering 12PMax. But....I have not had a phone that big before. Camera upgrades are intriguing to me as my phone is my main camera for taking family pics and I like longer battery life. Is the 12PMax battery life a lot longer than 12P? Is there any site that has something I could print out to at least see the difference in width/height between the two?
The measurements are listed on Apple’s website here: https://www.apple.com/iphone-12-pro/specs/

But here is the info.

11P 5.67 x 2.81 x .32 and 6.63oz
12P 5.78 x 2.82 x .29 and 6.66oz
12PM 6.33 x 3.07 x .29 and 8.03oz

Up to 3 hours more video playback and 15 hours audio playback on the Max vs 6.1” Pro.
Overall, the 6.1” Pro is very close to the size of your current 5.8” 11 Pro and almost identical in weight. The Pro Max is over half a pound and quite large.

punkbuy

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010
Austria
I was really disappointed when I heard that the Pro Max will have the better camera system. Since the camera would be the No. 1 reason to upgrad from my current X, I simply don't want to pay 1100€+ for the iPhone 12 Pro and only have the 2nd best iPhone camera.

Therefore, I will order the Pro Max and give it a try. In case its too big, I will return it and stick with my X for another year. :)

Reactions: GDF and tkwlee

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Pro.. First time ever I'm going smaller .. Think I can deal with it for the year lol.. especially carrying the Z Fold

Last edited:

Oblivion1337

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2018
UK
TBH, I am quite happy to see the balance on Pro and Pro Max users. Or else, both of the fans will have to fight over stock availability.?

alexxk

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
Ihave decided to wait and go with the Pro Max.

How good is the super wide lens on the iphone 11 pro? Was there and improvement to this lens on the iPhone 12 pro?

python0704

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2015
Undecided yet if I'm going to upgrade this year but if I do it'll be the Max. Been using the Max/Plus size since the iPhone 6 so am used to the bigger size and screen and would struggle with anything smaller. I only consider the Max/Plus size phones now. The fact that the Max this time has more features just makes it even sweeter.
Compare to past years when extra $100 only gets larger screen and bigger battery, 12PM’s better camera does sweetens the deal. Only the late date makes me still undecided.

TheAustrianGuy

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
Had a 6plus and got annoyed with its size over time. It having had the bending issue, requiring me to take extra care, and it having been underpowered from the start didn‘t help.
Upgraded to the 7, and now having been on X for 3 years, I‘m considering the bigger Pro Max again, as the Xˋ screen has been getting too small for my taste.

I‘m happy that preorders for the Max start later. That way, I‘ll have the chance to see the Non-Max in a store beforehand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.