Which ATV should I get?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Will22, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

Hi, I'm wanting to get an ATV but I'm unsure which I should get. Basically the main thing I want to do is mirror my iphone in at least 1080p but as I understand it the gen 4 will at some point be updated to 4K, is that right?

Another thing that may make a difference is jailbreaking, I would be interested in jailbreaking it as I have with my iP6 and I will be doing with my iP7+ when it's possible. I'm not sure of the advantages of jailbreaking ATV.

Thanks in advance.

2. satcomer, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

The Apple TV is not updated that often or yearly! So the current Model will be it for a couple more years! You will see an update when iTunes Movies start using HTML5!

3. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

Get the ATV4, 32GB should suffice. As mentioned above, there's unlikely to be an update for a year or two yet.

I believe the 4 has been JB as well, or alternatively you get many apps on their with a dev account, things like Kodi etc

As an aside, I'm not really sure why you'd want to JB it though, I haven't seen anything being done with it that would compel me to do so.

4. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

Since the ATV 3 was just discontinued, I would suggest the ATV 4 32GB. Not only will it be supported for a while, but it has quite a bit more potential with the App Store.

5. an-other macrumors regular

The big difference to me: ATV 3 has an optical output for sound. ATV 4 is hdmi only. I find I use my 3 more as a result as I have "vintage" stereo components.

You may be able to find ATV 3 at clearance prices, too.

I've noticed a crisper picture with ATV4, however that's just subjective. You'd have every right to be sceptical of that statement.

6. Will22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Will22

Thanks for all the answers. I will get the ATV 4 in that case.

@Hermes Monster the reason for jailbreaking was for kodi tv but I didn't know until yesterday that it can be done without jailbreaking it.

In regards to jailbreaking, can you still stream to ATV with a jailbroken iphone?

7. StarShot macrumors 6502

StarShot

Another point favoring the ATV4 is the ability to add apps. For example, I wanted to get "Sling" tv ONLY because it is the only way I can get the Pac 12 network WITH DTV. I've only had it for a week or so, but it's the best way I can display the Pac-12 on my 65" TV. Yes, I could also display the app via Air Play, but the DTV Sling app is more stable. I think it was the last ATV4 update that deleted most of the previous built-in ATV apps. Now they have to be downloaded from within the ATV4 system.