Which auto tires should I buy?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lord patton, Nov 21, 2008.

1. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Hi all. I know google is my friend—and I tried—but didn't find what I was looking for.

I need to get new tires for my 2006 Mitsubishi Endeavor SUV. Last winter (in Chicago) it was slipping and sliding WAY to much. It's time for the OEM's to go, and to get something awesome that will protect me and my daughter.

I'm going to Costco later today to get 4 new tires. Which brand/make is the best? The price seems to vary between $120 and $200 (per tire). I have no problem spending toward the high end of that range. As I said, this is a safety issue.

I imagine I'd be fine with most of the options they sell, but I refuse to go buy *anything* with out doing a little research.

Any opinions out there? Thanks.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Are you getting snow & mud (M+S) tires?

Michelin is a good brand.

3. lord patton thread starter macrumors 65816

lord patton

Yeah, I think that'd be the best plan. Those are made perform best in bad weather, but are appropriate for year round, correct?

4. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

I just bought some Yokohama Geolandars for my 4Runner, and so far I am enjoying them. They're quiet on the road and seem to grip well. Unfortunately I have no idea how well they would perform in snowy conditions - we don't have a whole lot of that here in Vegas. :D

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Michelin is what I have... lasts long too.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, assuming they're not studded (M+SE). Since you're in Chicago you'll also want to look for tires that are winter approved, as indicated by a snowflake and mountain symbol.

7. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Seconded for tirerack.com

Best place on the planet for tire info. Great reviews and comparisons. I'd spend some QT on this site. You won't be dissapointed if you do your homework.

I have a set of Geolanders on my LX450 and I'm not crazy about them in wet weather (not that you get that much in Vegas). I have a set of Bridgestone AT Revos on my 4Runner and I love them in all conditions. They look pretty sweet, too. Will be putting Revos on the LX450 as soon as the Geolanders wear.

8. Frisco macrumors 68020