Which backup strategy for me?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bigvb@hotmail.c, May 16, 2010.

1. bigvb@hotmail.c macrumors member

My current strategy;

- Backup criticals to CrashPlan Central (100GB of docs/pictures and itunes)
    - 500GB G-Drive Mini: 200GB Bootable Superduper partition
    300GB of my Video library

My g-drive mini is maxed out, and i last week ordered a massive hard drive expansion solution.

-Cremax ICY DOCK MB662UEAB-2S FW800
    - 2x Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 3.5 inch 2TB

Yes, 4TB is overkill, but the 2TB drives were £95, and the 1TB drives were £60, so i had to give in.

I will not be setting these up as RAID 1 (as its not a backup strategy, and i dont demand rapid recovery time), nor BIG or RAID0 (as im not insane).

This i will be using JBOD or "independant" drives (as some call it).

The primary purpose of these drives is to increase my storage capacity for my rapidly growing media library, however,i would also like to improve the robustness of my backup strategy, and am not sure ho best to do it.

Of the 2 drives in the enclosure, call them drive A and B, im trying to figure out the best strategy for backup.

Im thinking, store all my files on drive A. And then maybe getting some software to copy drive A onto B.

Firstly what would be best for this.

Secondly what partitioning would i need. Do i need to partition drive B, into (Backup of Drive A : Free space for general storage), theres no way I need the full 2TB of 'B' for my backups of my stored media library.

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I would use Carbon Copy Cloner in order to copy the contents of drive A over to drive B. One good thing about Carbon Copy Cloner is that it has a very useful scheduling utility that you can use to make automated backups of drive A to B. And yes you could just make two partitions in drive B, one equal to the size of drive A and then the other partition free space in order to put other miscellaneous files on.