Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
I am impatient and want ios ASAP but I know the current beta is not safe for day to day use.
Which stage of the beta would be reliable enough for me to use safely for day to day use?
Thanks.

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
That's almost impossible to say

Rumor has it the beta 3 comes out tomorrow, so you could always wait for some feedback on that

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
The GM. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, probably beta 4. Beta 2 is pretty darn buggy and I doubt 3 will bring a HUGE difference. But beta 3 should still bring steady improvements, enough so that beta 4 is almost nearly stable.

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
I am impatient and want ios ASAP but I know the current beta is not safe for day to day use.
Which stage of the beta would be reliable enough for me to use safely for day to day use?
Thanks.

All betas are likely to have some chance of bugs. If you can't live with the occasional hiccup, then beta may not be for you. Probably best to wait for the public release.

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2008
I've used both betas since launch day with very few problems. Initially battery was terrible but beta 2 sorted that for me. If you check the list of apps not working properly, that may dictate if there are some you cannot live without. That's on my iphone 5, the experience on iPad 3 not so great, very leggy

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Thanks.

Is there a real reason you need iOS 7 now? If not its probably best to wait until Apple ships it this fall. Why deal with bugs if you don't have to?

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Thanks for the help and advice.
If I register my UDID can I update to beta 2 and beyond or just beta 2?
Thanks again.

typeface

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2013
Thanks.

Don't use Beta 2 - I hear it will explode into a burning fireball, before launching itself into the air, spinning at 4,000 rpm whilst dive-bombing you!

DoctorFedora

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
All you're going to wind up with is a buggy experience where only the built-in apps are even updated — anything third-party is going to still look and feel like iOS 6 (even the keyboard) and in some cases will experience some serious bugs. Wikipanion, for example, crashes on launch.

If your main reason for this is "I want to be in the Secret Cool Kids Club who gets iOS early" and your main question is which beta is safest, you are absolutely a textbook example of "you should seriously wait until it comes out for real."

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Thanks.
Define 'safely'.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
The safest beta for every day use is the final non-beta release available this Fall.

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
I'll be honest I use Beta 2 all day.

Other than minor app crashes, I love it. Battery life is great too.

I've noticed, that if you're having battery issues, the problem is more times than not your cellular service.

naasrd

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Thanks.

Honestly, I don't think betas are for you. Hang on till September and you'll be fine.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Just be patient. Betas are crap if you're using them as daily drivers. Even if they *seem* fine, you'll usually stumble across a horrendous bug at the worst possible moment, like when you're swapping numbers with someone or something.

And it's definitely not worth paying £100 for a beta update if you're not a developer, when you'll be getting a stable update free of charge in a few months.

There's more to life than iOS7 - I'm sure you can wait :p

cjc811wvfd73

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2013
Thanks.

Betas are really buggy, and can ruin your device if you mess up the install. You need to have the experience. But anyways why spend the $99 if you want to use a software for 2 months.? It is not worth it..

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
They all will have bugs. Even the GM ends up with bugs which is why there are releases like 6.0.1, 6.0.2. But yes all the betas are buggy but usable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.