which blu-ray player on mac do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dalesoung, Apr 14, 2016.

1. dalesoung macrumors newbie

dalesoung

these days I want to buy a blu-ray player software, there are lots of products of different brands, which make me confusing! and I don't wanna watch the reviews one by one, can anyone give me advice?

2. kiwipeso1 Suspended

kiwipeso1

Just get VLC from videolan.org , it is free open source and works with anything video or audio.

3. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Go with VLC. Don't waste your money on the paid players. Often the player 'reviews' are simply shills for the product that pupport to show you how to play a bluray and then push a specific product.

4. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

I was looking into this recently because I have been considering buying a Blu-ray drive. Isn't it more complicated than you say? Namely the decryption keys are not contained within VLC so you have to download them elsewhere, and then the key package installer tries to install them into a SIP protected folder under El Capitan and so fails.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I would like to know myself.

5. kiwipeso1 Suspended

kiwipeso1

Blu Ray has had it's decryption keys openly available since 26 December 2006, I think you'll find that VLC has had Blu Ray support since 2007.

6. Fatherof5ive macrumors newbie

I have VLC version 2.2.0 and am unable to play a blu-ray on a Pioneer BDXL attached to my mid-2014 rMBP.

I purchased MacGo's blu-ray player. It's basic and it works. It's nothing like movies in iTunes or on a dedicated blu-ray player, but at least it works and I can continue my subscription to Netflix's blu-ray service.

7. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

I rip Blu-rays to disk with MakeMKV and then play the files. http://www.makemkv.com

It's not what you're asking, but it's how I watch my Blu-rays.

8. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

That doesn't directly address what I asked. Your statement does not invalidate what I said regarding downloading from elsewhere and problems installing under El Capitan. The post below yours provides support to my comment.

Without a Blu-ray drive I can't test any of this.

9. kiwipeso1 Suspended

kiwipeso1

Of course, you will need a Blu Ray drive to play a Blu Ray disk. That should be self-evident even to my Australian relatives.

If you are capable of installing and using Onyx, then you have solved your problem.

10. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

I imagine Onyx has absolutely nothing to do with this thread and what we're discussing. You still haven't answered my questions, I'll assume you don't know but decided to weigh into the conversation anyway.

11. kiwipeso1 Suspended

kiwipeso1

If you haven't even tried it, then you are free to imagine whatever nonsense you like.
    You are clearly as uninformed as my former computer science lecturers, goodbye.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

http://www.videolan.org/developers/libdvdcss.html

I think what you are referring to here is the libdvdcss package that VLC uses to crack the DVD encryption. There is an issue where libdvdcss wants to install in /usr/lib, but that is blocked by El Capitan's SIP. There is a workaround where you can move libdvdcss to /usr/local/lib that is not protected by SIP.

There is a Reddit thread here that talks about this in the context of Handbrake, but I believe VLC has the same issue and needs the same workaround.