Which Bluetooth Dongle for Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kis, Nov 16, 2008.

1. kis macrumors 65816

Hi,

unfortunately, Apple still hasn't fixed the Broadcomm Bluetooth chip driver problem that prevents newer Apple notebooks from using Bluetooth PAN with most smartphones. I've had the issue with my Macbook Air - and now I'm having it with my Macbook Pro Unibody in combination with an HTC Touch HD smartphone. I can connect bluetooth PAN (gets an IP and everything) but then nothing happens. Latency is so high that browsing the web is impossible. Anyway - this is a known issue.

My question: which external USB bluetooth dongle can you recommend so I can circumvent the problem?

peter

2. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

The Bluetooth on my MBP has disappeared from the system altogether. I am not sure why or if I can get it fixed in time before I have to go overseas where there is no Mac service of any kind. I also have a HTC Touch HD. I am curious to find out the same thing as you are.

Ideally there would be a better solution but I am in a pinch now and need to connect using any means available.

Bluetooth dongle or a dongle that I can put the SIM card itself in and it works with a MAC is what I am looking for now. Anybdoy have any tried and proven suggestions for either of these?

3. kis thread starter macrumors 65816

I've seen that as well - it reappeared after a reboot. The whole bluetooth stack is a total shambles in Leopard.

4. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

That reminds me--it's a shame the iPhone can't bluetooth sync, yet all those WM phones out there can. Yeesh!

5. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

I rebooted and reset the p-ram bla bla bla no BT detected at all. I am going to bring it in but they may not be able to fix it in time. If that's the case I would still like to have bluetooth. So is there anybody that use a BT dongle that works well and they recommend it?

6. kis thread starter macrumors 65816

after having done extensive research I have come to this conclusion: the only dongle that works 100% is the Dlink dbt-120 (NOT the 122!). They're not sold anymore but I was able to order one on *bay. Perhaps you'll find a vendor that will expedite shipping for you.

peter