Which book app: iBooks or kindle?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Skull21, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Skull21 macrumors regular

Which book app are most of you using for reading?

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I like iBooks better but I can read my kindle books on my Mac, my iPod touch, my PC at the office and my iPad. I'm mostly using iBooks for free books right now but I really do like iBooks software better so it could become my primary ebook reader someday.

3. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

iBooks. I converted my kindle books to epub for iBooks. I only had three kindle books, so I'm all set. The kindle apps are fine, I just like being able to add my iBooks to iTunes and having a centralized location for all of my media.

4. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I'm using both, but would much rather just have one. Shall I google to find out how to convert them, or do you have a link to a guide?

Edit, nvm, googled :)

5. mattpol macrumors regular

The selection on iBooks seems pretty limited.

6. sharp65 macrumors 6502

I would say kindle for now only because the selection in the ibook store seems a bit limited. I'm sure that will change though as things get added.

7. drjsway macrumors 6502a

I prefer Kindle's selection but it doesn't look as nice. iBooks looks and feels more like a real book.

8. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

I like iBooks but do love the fact that I can read the books I bought with my Kindle using my iPad.

9. Fakejohnsculley macrumors member

the iBook app is better than the Kindle.

but there are currently more titles available for the Kindle than the iBook.

i'm using both.

10. LadyHoneyBabe macrumors 6502

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You can do this? How??? Does it screw up anything on the Kindle book files?

12. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

You can't discuss circumventing DRM on the boards, but it's doable. The only issue Ive had is that when I open the Kindle book in iBooks, the very first page, which is the cover, is a blue question mark. All other pages, pics and features work great.

Does anyone know why with the free iBooks, the cover doesn't copy to iTunes? That's annoying, I like the art in iTunes. With other books, the art is in the root of the epub file and it's a jpeg file without the .jpg extension, it's just called "iTunesArtwork" or "iTunesArtwork" I think.

13. RebelRed macrumors member

I used both mainly because Kindle had more of what I needed. Either one is fine though. They both seem pretty similar and good.

14. powersurge macrumors member

I think I'm going to hold off for a bit on buying books until things settle down. There are some novels that I'm interested in but they are only on Kindle/amazon and I'd much rather have all of my media tied into iTunes if I can.

edit: Now that I look through both stores they are missing a lot of stuff I'd be interested in anyway. Very few Arthur C. Clarke or R.A. Salvatore novels as an example.

15. 1appleAday macrumors regular

Another vote for both. Actually I will get the barnes & noble app once it's out too. I want ti have access to all 3 bookstore on one (kick ass) device! :D