which book does my girl friend need?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 4fingered, Sep 16, 2008.

1. 4fingered macrumors member

My Girl friend is in Fashion School and is graduating in about a week. Her parents are getting her a new computer for grad so that she can use it in her work. She wants to get a new macbook of some kind as her 3 year old ibook is much too slow now.

Her question is, which macbook should she get? She uses all the Adobe software (photo shop, illustrator etc.) heavily. Now I recommended she get a 15" macbook pro but she is wondering if she really needs that or if she could go for the top of the line macbook. I am a video editor and haven't spent much time with the Adobe software, do those programs tend to rely on vram much?

2. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Those Apps will run fine on the Macbook unless she is doing any extremely (and when I say extremely I mean extremely) heavy work which requires more graphics power.

Also I recommend waiting a couple of weeks as its near enough gospel that new models of both are due out soon.

3. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

First...wait for the new MacBooks to come out (pure rumors/speculation, but eyes point to Oct. 14th)...and if I was her, I would go for the 15". You have plenty of power/hard drive and the screen is wonderful. Very bright and has more screen space (resolution wise) than the MacBook. And on top, the MacBook Pro is much more professional looking than the MB.

4. 4fingered thread starter macrumors member

this is true. that was my other point to her is the screen real estate. I guess I may as well wait to see if the new Macbooks have the hi res LED screens too and then make the decision.

5. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Since she's going to grad school, sounds like she's going to be doing professional work soon if she hasn't started to already.

I agree that she should probably get the MBP.

6. AppliedMicro macrumors 6502a

MacBook Pro - not for raw power but for the display.

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

After Effects does, and photoshop will, offer GPU accelleration. Most other things in the suite are CPU Based (well premiere and sound apps can use external hardware but)

8. dtklamf macrumors regular

9. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I wanna know where da gold at...give me da gold, I want da gold.

10. thomanjones macrumors regular

Refurb MBP. Very close in price to a top of the line new MacBook, but with the higher resolution, and extra ports for transferring large image projects.

11. rupie94 macrumors member

You should wait until the macbook touch comes out. 'Cause that is really handy when you are a designer.

12. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

13. 4fingered thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the responses guys

and to firefly: of course she can figure it out herself but it never hurts to get a 3rd and 4th, 5th etc... opinion. sounds like she'll be getting the MBP

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod