Which "book" for a traveling salesperson

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drchipinski, Jan 31, 2008.

1. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

I travel locally in sales and would like something small(er) for contacts, calendar, marketing material, and other small programs. My question is should I get the Air, or a blackbook?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

if this is going to be a solely on the go computer where portability is a huge factor and power isn't, i'd think the Air would be better.

3. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

I disagree.. Blackbook. For travel, especially. So many nicks and dings and you will need an ethernet port, CD access for presentations (maybe), etc...

4. LouTreize macrumors regular

2 things to keep in mind...your budget and your use. If it wont be your primary laptop, take a good look at the Macbook Air but don't flip over the price. Ultra portables tend to carry a hefty price with them. If not, then the Macbook is an excellent product for the price.

Many people will argue about the Macbook Air not being strong enough but if you're not running intensive programs and only using it for basic emails, surfing, a little music, watch some movies and so on, then speed won't be a factor, at all. Here's a nice review from MacWorld. Good luck!

5. drchipinski thread starter macrumors 6502

drchipinski

How different are the screeens? Huge difference in quality or little difference?

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

The MBA screen is LED backlit, the MB's isn't. Besides that, I would go with the Macbook, simply due to its having a user-replaceable battery, an optical drive, and built in ports for several hundred dollars less than the MBA.

7. drchipinski thread starter macrumors 6502

drchipinski

I cannot imagine that I will use the CD/DVD Media too often if ever. My thoughts were to use a larger back up device for my non-important items. I literally want to do some promotion/graphic work, emails, spreadsheets, and commonly performed work items.

Is there a big difference between LED and non LED?

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

but if everything is preloaded, why carry around the bigger machine?
    and if internet access isn't necessary in that you won't have to use it for your presentations, the air is simpler and more unobtrusive imo.

9. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Does the Macbook have a Light Sensor? I know the Macbook Air does and has the backlit keyboard.

10. heatmiser macrumors 68020

LED: brighter and consumes less power.

11. drchipinski thread starter macrumors 6502

drchipinski

That was kind of my thought.....and that it is one sexy looking machine!

12. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

sounds like you *want* the MBA. so go ahead and buy it. why do you need validation from this forum? just don't regret your purchase after you've got the thing and your credit card statement.

13. sanford macrumors 65816

There are too many trade-offs and frustrations in maintaining an Air if you use it, and require it, for work. Blackbook.

14. drchipinski thread starter macrumors 6502

drchipinski

Thanks..

The blackbook it is.

The extra 2 pounds will help build my strength which in turn will lead me to joining an NFL team....well maybe not.

I was more hung up on the screen than anything.

15. heatmiser macrumors 68020

yay! you'll get a much better value for your money that way.

16. LouTreize macrumors regular

:cool: The Macbook does hit the spot nicely, doesn't it? Haha.

17. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

Go for the blackbook because you will get the optical drive and it's still just as portable as the mba. I would be afraid of breaking the mba if I were traveling with it.

18. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Good decision. Glad to see that you did not fall into Job's stupid MBA marketing crappy trap. You'll love and Black MB!

x

19. drchipinski thread starter macrumors 6502

drchipinski

I ordered a refurb for $1299....I hope they are as good as new as everyone claims....

Thanks everyone! This place rules.

20. sanford macrumors 65816

You get it in a plain brown box. That's the only difference I've ever seen with anyone buying a refurb. They're usually DOAs that, say, have had the logic board replaced and everything checked to spec. If you didn't see the plain box, you wouldn't know it wasn't a standard, sealed retail unit.

21. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Great price. Please share your unboxing experience if you can :) Hope you'll receive it soon!

22. ZballZ macrumors regular

IMO, not a real dilemma. Get the BlackBook. No question. This will cover everything you need, no compromise, small, fast.

On the other hand, if this is just because of the coolness-factor of the Air, thats a different story...

23. JerryB macrumors newbie

I have a 3 1/2 year old 12" PB and have been very happy with it. I travel a lot and wanted the smallest solution available. The PB has really done the job.

I recently took on a large project that uses a PLC programming module that only runs in Windows. Since I don't own a Windows machine, I decided to get a new Intel chip based machine and use one of the available virtual machine programs.

I seriously looked at the MBA during MacWorld SF. While it's an interesting platform, providing a minimalist package that is probably very competent in a wireless environment, it has too many limitations to fulfill my needs. And the price is somewhat higher than a loaded 13" black MB.

I received my 13" MB (detailed in my sig.) yesterday. Spent the night getting VMFusion, Windows XP and the PLC application going. No problems (except those between the earphones!!). Really seems to be the right choice. Now all I need is to find a USB to serial connector that will work and I'm all set.

The black MB is a beautiful package. Easy choice for me!

Jerry

24. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Yep my vote goes to the blackbook as well. You never know when you will need a Ethernet port, or a CD to pop in for your clients..

25. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

Don't forget about the replaceable hard drive (without a possible voiding of warranty). MBP doesn't have that advantage :(.