Which books will help me get into iPhone developement?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by klamse25, May 11, 2010.

1. klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

Any recommendations on what I should do?
    I'm looking at a book that got pretty good reviews for learning objective-c.
    http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Objective-C-2-0-Stephen-Kochan/dp/0321566157/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273619685&sr=1-1There's also another book I'm looking at that teaches you the basic of the SDK and a tiny bit of Objective-C.
    http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Yourself-iPhone-Application-Development/dp/0672330849/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273619781&sr=1-1
    Anyone heard of these books, or any comments on them?
    Any recommendations to get me started?
    I have no experience at all with developing any type of applications for anything, and just need to learn with some type of book... I have also heard that starting with developing Mac applications would be a good thing to do, is this true?
    Thanks for your help! :)

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

"Programming in Objective-C 2.0" (Kochan) followed by "Beginning iPhone 3 Development" (Mark, LaMarche) are the most recommended around here.

3. klamse25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

klamse25

Thanks so much. So are you recommending to read the book about objective-c first, then the iPhone developement book after?

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Yes.

5. klamse25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

klamse25

Thank you for your help. Have a good day!

6. cc2096 macrumors regular

cc2096

7. klamse25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

klamse25

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely learn the C programming language first!

8. skochan macrumors regular

You can search this forum, as the issue of learning C first has been debated here in different threads (you can search to locate the threads). I don't believe C should be learned first (as I've also expressed here), and for newer programmers I even think it's a bigger mistake.

Cheers,

Steve Kochan

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Hey Steve, I picked up your "Programming in Objective-C 2.0" book as a reference and just wanted to say I really appreciate your casual style of writing. Really, it's quite refreshing amongst the various volumes of technical books I've had to slog through in the past (and, I imagine, in the future).

10. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

I am half way through the sams teach your self iphone application development in 24 hours. It's very good and i am learning a lot. It seems to go a quite a fast pace which might be a bit of a problem if you haven't done any programming before. Just get a few books from the library and see which are best for you.

11. skochan macrumors regular

Thank you! :) If you need any help or have any questions, be sure to join the forum at classroomM.com/objective-c.

Cheers,

Steve Kochan

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

BTW, if you ever print out a new edition and want editorial comments, I'm available. It's been awhile since I read your book, but there were some typos and mistakes (the reader "should" be able to figure most of those out though, if they're learning anything). However, perhaps you have those fixed on your website.

13. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Particularly during the Foundation Framework Section...

14. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

15. klamse25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

klamse25

It's great to hear from one of the authors himself. I'll altogether drop C programming and just pick up your book only. I've heard amazing things about it, and I'll have to tell you what I think about it. Thanks so much!