Which bootcamp version for Mac Pro (late 2013)?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DrLemur, Dec 10, 2014.

1. DrLemur macrumors member

Hi. Quick question. I'd just like to know what the current MOST up to date version of boot camp drivers for use in Windows 8.1 are for my late 2013 Mac Pro?

A link to them would be great also.

Would it be safe to just install over the top of the wrong ones I put in already or do I need to uninstall first? (I don't know how to uninstall them.)

Help with any or all of these things will be a life saver. Thanks!

2. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

I think the most current BootCamp version is 5.1.

3. DrLemur, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014

DrLemur thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Ska. I did figure out that while I did put the 5.1 bootcamp in my machine there are actually two versions of 5.1 depending on what machine you have. Confusingly (see below) Apple in their all-knowing wisdom has listed on each version the machines that DONT work with that version rather than the ones that do.. So if like me you are not reading too closely you just assume the machines listed are for that version.

Anyway so I downloaded the correct version and bootcamp only gives me the option of "repairing" and adding files to my existing bad installation when going to setup on these new drivers. In "programs and features" in windows the old drivers don't give me the option of uninstalling them. I've then assumed (hopefully rightly) that it was smart enough to just fill in the gaps of what was missing from the other version and neatly correct any inconsistencies with the two versions. So far so good haven't had any crashes and the system still boots and goes between Mac and PC fine.. That is until I plug in my RAID external LaCie SSD drive and then it decides to go to a black screen and stay there.

Right now it seems that every time I want to boot up I'll have to unplug my drive and plug it back in once booted.. Annoying.. I wonder if something is still wrong with the way I overlapped the drivers that might be causing this or an unrelated issue.. Hmm.

Attached Files: