Which Brand RAM?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Chris7, May 17, 2009.

1. Chris7 macrumors 6502

Hello,

I would like to upgrade my Mac Pro to 4 GB of RAM. I'm not going with Apple RAM. Which are the more reliable brands of RAM and where are some good places to buy?

Also, I read in Macworld a while back Leopard has the ability to check the RAM to make sure its OK, but that there's an additional program that does a much more through job of this. I can't find the issue. Anyone know what this program is?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Crucial.com has great RAM at a pretty good price. Not sure about the program you refer to, but I've never had any issues with third-party memory either.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

4. WorldTravel26 macrumors newbie

WorldTravel26

I upgraded to 4GB of RAM from Crucial. Seems to be working great so far.

Also, not sure, but maybe the program you are talking about is TechTool Deluxe or TechTool Pro? This program will check your memory (and a lot more) to make sure everything is working correctly.

5. GoHack macrumors member

6. karatekidk macrumors regular

Another vote for crucial, although you might find their pricing a little bit tricky.

7. xlosltove777 macrumors member

For all my homebuilt PCs and my iMac, Macbook, and brother's powerbook I bought the cheapest RAM I could find on newegg and they've been perfectly fine. I got 4GB for my Macbook(white so it was DDR2) for $20 after a $30 mail in rebate. It was a really good deal. The Mac Pro takes DDR3 FB-DIMM right? You might have trouble finding a great deal on that, it's just not as common. But look around for a good price is what I would recommend. If the difference is a few bucks for a major brand like Crucial that might make sense otherwise I don't see why you don't look for the least expensive thing you can find.

8. Chris7 thread starter macrumors 6502

9. jon08 macrumors 65816

10. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I also recommend Crucial and OWC! You can't go wrong with either one of them.