Which (British) English dictionary app?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by noddy1000, Jan 6, 2009.

1. noddy1000 macrumors newbie

I would like an offline dictionary app, but am having a tough time deciding which one might be most suitable!

I want a serious, in-depth dictionary and don't mind paying decent money for something good. I've tried The Concise English Dictionary but it does not have the etymology, usage, IPA pronounciation and other language geek info I want!

Has anyone bought the Concise OED? Does the American Heritage Dictionary include British English spellings and usage as well? Is the Collins any good?

The App Store reviews and Google aren't helping me!

What would you recommend???

2. xerxers macrumors member

Have a look at wordbook.

Has a large dictionary, gives you prounciations as well as it has a crossword solver in it.

I used WordBook firstly on my PDA and found it to be indispensible and then when I got my Iphone I immediately purchased WordBook and have found that it is even better on the Iphone.

I have been in touch with the developers on a number of occassions and I have always found them to be very reponsive. Believe me this is a big plus factor.

HTH

Xerxers

3. noddy1000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion Xerxes! But the cynic in me says that £1.19 isn't going to get me the depth I'm looking for. But perhaps I'm wrong. If only you could trial apps before buying permanently...

4. xerxers macrumors member

noddy,

I think that you will get a pleasnt surprise on just how comprehensive it really is.

Go to their website and have a look there at the write ups.

Me now being cynical GBP1.19 is not that much to pay to take a risk.....LOL:)

Xerxers